Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > what if i don't upgrade?

what if i don't upgrade?
Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 01:08 AM

okay, all of this 9.1 stuff is making me nervous.

my iMac G3/400 - 9.0.4 is the most stable aspect of my life: no crashes/no hang-ups/everything's reasonably fast and accomplishes whatever meagre tasks i assign it [my mind is truly envious].

even IE & OE behave themselves.

the question is: what if i leave everything as is?

how long will it take before i get left behind on the evolutionary ladder?

posthumanus over.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2001, 01:42 AM

the question is: what if i leave everything as is?
You will have piece of mind. I just upgraded to OS 9.1, 'cause I like challenges. It went as smooth as silk, om both my Pismo, and a Blue & White G3. OS 9.0.4. was very stable on both Macs, but I stress if I don't have the latest, I feel I might be missing out on something. But don't worry, your not missing much........

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2001, 01:48 AM

You're missing very little. Don't bother.
If it aint broke don't fix it.
Although it went smooth for me... just one crash (which is more than OS 9.04 gave me )

Cipher13

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 02:40 AM

yes, i'll probably wait a month or three and collect all the reams of pages dedicated to this update before even considering installing it.

but the main question is the one about the evolutionary ladder: in the future, will there be stuff that only 9.1ers can use?

i remember when i updated to 9.0.4, my dvd's wouldn't play until i also updated to dvd2.2 ect, ect: that's my point [of course, if i'd left it all at os9 & dvd2, then i wouldn't have been any the wiser].

obviously, there's no urgency involved here ... just curious.

posthumanus over.

ps: haven't heard boo from iceland: come back to the fold, tobster. or were you snowed under by besserwisser retaliation?

cryptic, hey?

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2001, 03:37 AM

I guess he's a sore loser.
Nah, you won't miss out on anything. And if you are? Upgrade.
Anyway, just thought I'd tell you, I'm downgrading. I backed up OS9 onto my backup partition, and I am going to swap 9.04 back to the main partition.
2 hard crashes in 1 day will not be tolerated.
OS 9.1 will be deleted immediately.

Cipher13

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 03:55 AM

exterrrrrminate!

back to the tardis, huh?

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2001, 05:16 AM

Indeed
Tardis...?

Cipher13

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 06:01 AM

tardis:

the phone box that 'doctor who' hid in from all those rampant salt and pepper shakers waving their arms around and threatening to exterrrrminate/obliterate him.

let's just call it a safe-house.

Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 06:09 AM

Don't worry - not having met Cipher personally I believe his "Tardis?" is a generational joke - don't even ask him what a tribble is!

Personally I never jump into the latest upgrade until at least 2 weeks after the frontiers-men (people) have made the mistakes and found the answers - this board is a perfect decision helper

I will be going to 9.1 but reticent to go X - but then, I've heard the Apple menu is back and the task bar will be less Windows-like

cheers

Simon

like yeah, right you go to the 'start' menu to shutdown your computer
bollocks
this sig intentionally left blank

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 06:18 AM

o my gawd, am i that old?!

in all fairness to me, it was the first thing that popped into my mind and it hasn't popped in there for a long time.

have had something of a mosquito problem lately and as soon as Cipher said he was sick of [it] i immediately thought of extermination.

one of my ancient synapses slipped back into place.

it's the only excuse i've got.

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 06:26 AM

ref - a generational joke:

maybe that's why i'm having trouble bedding that drop-dead gorgeous, 22 year old, wild child, beach babe honey i adore?

life is cruel, but i keep trying.

posthumanus [probably definately] over [the hill].

[This message has been edited by posthumanus (edited 01-12-2001).]

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2001, 06:31 AM

Doctor Who?

Cipher13

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2001, 06:35 AM

simonjames: Stay away from 9.1 till its next iteration.
posthumanus: Where abouts in Australia are you? Sydney?

Cipher13

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 06:46 AM

no, melbourne, thankfully.

who the hell would choose to live in sydney?! [um: sorry simon]

anyway: fyi / 'doctor who' [i can't believe i'm doing this] was a low budget, english SF series that went for years and was re-run on oz tv relentlessly.

personally, it bored the s**t out of me once i hit puberty and haven't thought of it since.

i would consider it a personal favour if no-one reminded me of it until i'm in a retirement village and have no control over my bowels.

posthumanus over.

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2001, 06:52 AM

Ah, I would never have seen it. Don't watch much TV, let alone British TV...
Hahaha, I'm a Sydneysider myself, thankyou
And wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world.
But its ok, I understand - your being from Melbourne explains all

Cipher13

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 07:20 AM

does it really?!:

for the benefit of all our international friends [including those from iceland] who have been swamped by olympics hype, melbourne is definately the most liveable city in the world:

the people are up front and open, the water is pure [scientifically proven as the cleanest in the world] we get less rain and more sunny days than sydney, the traffic is a breeze, the girls are fabulous, the nightlife and food is unbelievable, the air is clean ...

i've lived in many cities worldwide and as far as cities go, melbourne has everything: okay, it's on the far side of the planet but that's another selling point: we have snowfields, beaches, forests, deserts, mountains, surf , and are the sporting capital of the world ...

melbourne's sort of like a cross between San Fransisco and Boston.

check this out :
http://webcam.omni.net.au/

sorry Cipher, just sick of sydney getting all the attention.

posthumanus over.

ps: how the hell did this start anyway?

pps: also for the benefit of our international friends, there's always been a [friendly] rivalry between these two cities [sydneysiders are always wrong of course].

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2001, 07:43 AM

Hahaha, believe me, you can have the spotlight.
I'm more sick of the Olympics than anyone else...
I don't want my city in the spotlight.
Sydney has all the things posthumanous mentioned, and better ones at that - we have the best surf/beaches, the best snowfields, the best girls (best Australian girls that is - not including California, etc), the best mountains, the best nightlife... and the best forests... well Queensland probably takes that honour actually.

Oh, and by the way, pollution in Melbourne is currently at a 17 year record high... just thought I'd mention that

Hm... I prefer rainy days to sunny ones so even though we get more sunny days and less rain than you, thats a bad point to me.
Oh and traffic isn't much of a problem anyway - its such a beautiful place you're best just taking your time walking

I have no idea how we got onto this

Signing off for a week,

Cipher13

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 08:00 AM

okay, queensland has the best forests/ jungles in the world: i grew up in cairns [nth qld], eating mangoes and coconuts, catching snakes, wrestling crocs and sharks: seriously, i have the scars.

as for melbourne's pollution today: apparently, king island is on fire and the southerly from antarctica is blowing it toward us. king island is in bass strait and makes the finest 'double brie' in the world.

so i guess the price of cheese is going up soon.

ah well.

posthumanus out.

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 08:31 AM

and what do you mean you've got the best australian girls?

i know one you haven't got!

she was just there a week ago and you missed her: too busy talking to me, i guess. ha ha.

Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 08:34 PM

since the subject has transitioned to a comparison of Aussie cities, I shall offer this piece of information: Los Angeles California (not necessarilly the city, but the 5 county area in which 15 million Americans live) is the best place to be. I'd have to agree on the hot girls thing... definately a local plus. Additionally, we've got mountains, beach, desert, forest, about every type of climate immaginable, etc, all within an hour's drive. And can we say e-c-o-n-o-m-i-c-s? EVERYTHING is made here. Tech (etoys, earthlink networks, broadcom, etc), Aerospace (JPL, a division of NASA, and various other manufacturers for example), Automotive (just about every design center), etc... I could go on and on. Overall, we all know the truth: America Rulez!!!
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

Phaedrus
Jan 12, 2001, 10:27 PM

OS 9.1 has totally ROCKED on my G4. It's faster and more stable. My computer hasn't crashed once with 9.1--normally it crashes about once/day, now I'm going on two days with no crashes.

It is definantly snappier in the finder. It's a very nice OS. However, I don't have many peripherals, so I have less chance at extension/USB conflicts.

I think you are missing out by not upgrading, but if you're concerned then waiting won't hurt. I've been telling people at work who rely on their computers every day to wait on upgrading. If I was really worried about stability, I would wait on upgrading until 9.1.1 is available. At home I don't care as much since I jack-off with my computer alot.

Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 10:40 PM

All is not what it may seem to be:

I am using a G-450 DP with 512 megs of ram (no virtual memory), a Sony Spressa USB CDR-W with Toast, and a Sony DCR-TRV520 digital camcorder. I installed 9.1 (OS X on the same partition). Everything works great and I have noticed a major improvement in speed.

This is not a bad upgrade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules