Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Major Mac OS 9.1 problem ???(Maybe)???

Major Mac OS 9.1 problem ???(Maybe)???
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 12, 2001, 10:58 AM

I work nights and my Mac G3/266 Beige Desktop has run very reliably for over 2 yrs now. I generally go onto the internet after work.

I installed the OS 9.1 upgrade the day after it's release, and everything seemed fine. But lastnight I came home started up my computer and it froze upon loading extensions.

So I restarted, and got no display at all. Obviously there was power going to the CPU, the restart chime "chimed".

After several restarts, trying to zap PRAM, trying to rebuild desktop, I was still getting nothing. I attempted to start-up off my System CD and couldn't

By now I'm panicking, and getting a grim realization that there's a serious hardware issue. So I disconnected all my external devices, except monitor/keyboard/mouse and tried to start again, still no luck

Now I'm really panicking. So I openned up my computer and removed my Added RAM, and retail ATI Rage Orion Card. Tried to start off CD, still nothing at all. So I switched the location of my Hard Drive, and also hit the hardware reset button on the Logic Board.

After doing this I was capable of starting off the system CD but It was showing no Hard Drive installed So I switched the Hard Drive back to Bay 1 and restarted and my Mac was alive again bootable off the Hard Drive

I was then able to return all my added hardware to where it was before with no start-up problems. My guess is the hardware reset button fixxed the issue here, but I'm still totally confused why this happenned. Up to OS 9.1 I've never ever had this problem

Mike

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2001, 12:59 PM

Whenever I make changes to a Mac, especially major changes, I expect there to be problems. If your logic board needed to be reset once - and only once - don't worry. If it happens again, worry. I would start with extensions - find all non-Apple and update as necessary. You mentioned a video card, try starting there. Extensions that directly drive hardware are most likely to need updating.

Again, only worry if it happens again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules