Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1/9.5 timetable

OS 9.1/9.5 timetable
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2000, 02:39 PM

When are we (realistically) expecting the last OS 9.x update, and will it be a free download or a $100 store purchase?

Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2000, 06:05 PM

9.1 will be free download or $20 give/take if you want the Apple pressed upgrade CD...
As for when...well, they are in alpha testing according to AppleInsider...I'd say mid-late October release date...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Geust
Aug 23, 2000, 01:10 PM

ok so if i buy a new imac around december 12 will it come preinstalled with osx? and if it does can i downgrade for free to os 9? and if i cant downgrade for free can i downgrade to os 9?

Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2000, 01:34 PM

I believe the "expected" release date for OS X is MWSF, so December 12 would probably *not* have OS X preinstalled. (if everybody had the software before it was released, it wouldn't make a very big splash, would it?)
The new computers in January will not be incompatible with OS 9, as OS X is designed to dual-boot with OS 9 to run Classic apps. so OS 9 should still be available after OS X comes out.

Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2000, 03:20 PM

Looks like 9.1 is slated for Seybold, according to some random source I was reading earlier...odd how they would entirely bypass beta testing and go straight from Alpha to Golden Master...

on another note, QT5 will be alti-vec and will be released by MacWorld Paris as it seems...sounds good to me.

and no, Job's announcement is iMacs released next year will have OSX pre-installed...but if you buy it on Dec 12, you might be able to get a cheap upgrade deal.
Generally speaking, downgrading your OS from what came as standard is not a good idea when it comes to Apple...Since OS 7.6 (?) Apple started releasing universal systems that works w/o specific enablers, but with the introduction of the iMac, the MacOS again became machine specific, and with each hardware update, came OS updates. With an older OS, chances are, it wont' be able to support the hardware...anyone else to confirm/reject this?
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules