Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > RAM Usage

RAM Usage
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2000, 10:18 PM

I am somewhat curious - I recently bought 128 mB RAM for my G3, upgrading it from 64 to 192. Before, when I had 64 and RAM Doubler boosting things to 192, the OS's RAM usage would stay steady at around 15-18 mB, no matter how many apps I had running, or how long the computer had been running. Now I have 192, RAM Doubler still on. The computer starts up at 20 (disk cache, I know) but now, whenever I start up any applications, the system heap bumps up another 5 or so (per application). It can go as high as 60-65 sometimes, when I'm really crunching things. Why is this? I know the OS uses more RAM if you give it more, but eating up another 5 or so per app?

Blizzard.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Aug 19, 2000, 11:58 PM

I've had this experience before, but only when the MacOS Virtual Memory is turned off. Apple recommends that you turn VM on to at least 1 MB over what you have physically.

Although your problem is with RD, I think this may have an effect. I personally can't tell you if this will work with RD, as I had a bad RD experience about 10 years ago and I vowed never to use it again. Call me stubborn...;-)

C
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2000, 12:24 AM

yeah yeah yeah (said the Beatles)

read all the Apple TIL articles you care to regarding VM,and then know that most apps hate VM and few require it, there is NO substitute for real memory, buy as much RAM as you can afford and let MacOS eat its fill... this Apple jive about VM is just that, jive... take that to the bank...

VM makes any number of bad things happen: poor sync with sound and video on DVD playback, soundsets do not work right, etc etc etc... this is NOT a matter of opinion, it is fact...

so all things considered, VM blows large technicolor chunks unless you_must_use it for some app or another... and if you say that MacOS 9.04 uses too much RAM without VM on, just wait until OS X comes out, it wants much more than 9.04 does on its worst day

get used to it, buy RAM and stop using VM and see how much happier your Mac will be

and my Macs are as stable as stable can be...
i have had one issue with my iBook that was related to NewWorldROM issues and i worked that out... my Macs are like rocks, and VM blows chunks

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 08-20-2000).]

keston
Aug 20, 2000, 11:40 PM

Actually, i think yor computer may become more UNSTABLE with VM off...

Forum Links
Forum Rules