Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple User Login Errors at Home

Multiple User Login Errors at Home
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2000, 12:48 AM

I have a G4 400MHz running OS9.04. I am using the multiple user control panel to keep the family's stuff straight.

On a very frequent basis I am getting type 2 errors on the Login program or "Cannot display the selected environment".

Do I need to trash a preference or something?

I have reset the PRAM and rebuilt the desktops. HELP!!!

Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2000, 02:22 AM

Is that a type 2 error or a -2?
In the case of a -2, check your HD. Run DFA and see if it comes up with a corrupted directory or whatever...
If its a -2 then there is a software error (either corrupt software or a conflict).

Cipher13

maybe
Aug 22, 2000, 10:36 AM

Trash all the multi-user folders in the preferences folder and make sure Mac OS Easy Open is disabled. Then make sure you have "Panels" in the System Folder. If not, custom install from the CD.

Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2000, 10:51 AM

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2000, 01:04 PM

Hi Mark,

In addition to the good advice given by others above, see also the possibly related threads over in the MacFixIt Forums/Fora if you haven't already done so (e.g., Multiple Users error at log on and Unable to start the requested environment).

Regards,

--Paul

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2000, 02:16 PM

Thanks everyone!

The disk first aid fixed some of the problem. I trashed the Multi-User pref and lost some more conflicts.

I'll also go through the other threads, they have good advice as well.

I just can't see the (IBM) PC world coming together like this to really fix people's problems. Thank Macintosh friends!

Forum Links
Forum Rules