Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sorting Columns in Finder Windows

Sorting Columns in Finder Windows
Jodeo
Aug 22, 2000, 11:17 AM

When I view my files in Finder (OS 8 and now 9.0.4) I see File Name followed by Last Updated and Created Date.

What I want to see is File Name, followed by Size and Kind. I can manually change these, but they're back to where they were when I reboot.

Is there a way to make this the default? There's no options I'm aware of in the control panels. If there's a fix through Res Edit, that too would be useful (if necessary).

------------------
<`{{{{><

duh?
Aug 22, 2000, 11:47 AM

Finder Preferences? Open the Preferences... from the Edit menu in the Finder.

Jodeo
Aug 23, 2000, 10:04 AM

Thanks, duh, but not quite...

The Preferences only let me turn columns on and off but offer no sort order. I can choose sort by name OR type OR size etc., but I want to specify that all windows show the name COLUMNT first, the Size COLUMN next, and the Kind COLUMN third, followed by date created and date modified.

------------------
<`{{{{><

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2000, 01:14 PM

Hi Jodeo,

There might not be a built-in way to change the *default* column order. However, for some alternative approaches, see the older related threads in this Forum (e.g., List Views custom default?) if you haven't already done so.

Regards,

--Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules