Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > freeze and lockup problems

freeze and lockup problems
john judy
Aug 23, 2000, 08:37 PM

Hi all,
We have G4/500mghz/384ram computer running OS 9.0.4. The machine also has an Adaptec 2930 SCSI card.

All seems fine until we start using our key applications, Illustrator 8.01 and Quark 4.11. These programs will work for a few seconds and then we get one of several errors: type 1, 3, 5, 7 or 10.

I tried the usual stuff, only Apple extensions on, rebuilding the desktop, zapping the PRAM, restoring the OS and removing the SCSI card and additional ram. None of these seemed to cure the problem. I also tried deleting the preference files for these applications.

Any suggestions from all the great guru's out there? I did see some issues regarding Adaptecs SCSI cards and OS9.04 but all of our SCSI devices are working fine (JAZ, CDR and scanner). Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

john

Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2000, 01:59 AM

Got the latest versions of the software? Search for updates.
Need more info about the errors... exactly what errors? were they 1's, 3's etc., or -1's, -3's?
Makes a massive difference.
Going by what you say they are, try scanning your HD for problems... use Disk First Aid in the Utilities folder... or TechTool or Norton or whatever.
They are errors associated with disk or software corruption...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 08-24-2000).]

johnjudy
Aug 24, 2000, 09:13 AM

Hi Cipher,

The errors are:
Type 1
Type 3
Type 5
Type 7
Type 10

I do have the latest version of Quark, Illustrator is not that old (we have the version just prior to the latest).

As far as conflicts go, this occurs when only the Apple extensions are loaded. I also ran DFA which found no problems.

Cerebrus
Aug 24, 2000, 11:51 AM

Try taking Control strip out of you startup set

Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2000, 12:43 PM

There are some error code books floating around that tell you what each error means and why...It doesn't help much, but its a place to start.

If I recall correctly, Type3 is a PPC error, and Apple was suppose to have resolved it a while back...type 1 was illegal instruction error that doesn't really mean a whole lot...Other ones, I've almost never seen... Try running a scan with TechTool Pro 3 if you have it. It checks for HD errors, viruses (virii if you want to be technical on English), and software conflicts/incompatibilities...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2000, 12:53 PM

john judy
Aug 24, 2000, 02:17 PM

I did a clean install of OS 9.0.4. Illustrator and Photoshop worked fine for awhile as did Quark. I saved and quit everthing and rebooted the machine. Quark started but then gave me an error code of 3. Illustrator and Photoshop also dumped with the same error code. I have not added any extensions to the system. I have turned off a couple of Apple items (launcher, multiuser and some cheesy printers).

John

Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2000, 06:01 PM

1: bus error (dsBusError)
3: illegal instruction error (dsIllInstEr)
5: check trap error (dsChkErr)
7: privilege violation error (dsPrivErr)
10: line 1111 trap error (dsLineFErr)

Anyone see any correlation? All I can think of is software corruption somewhere... but that seems not to be the case. Try starting up with no extensions except those which are installed by the programs...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 08-24-2000).]

john judy
Aug 31, 2000, 08:27 PM

None of typical problem solvers were able to fix the situation so I reformatted the hard drive (zeroed all data) and reinstalled all the software. Seems to be working fine so far. I'll see how it is after a few days of heavy graphics use. Thanks for all the suggestions.

john

Forum Links
Forum Rules