Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 Finder Glitch

9.1 Finder Glitch
Jan 14, 2002, 04:24 PM

Posted this last week with no replies. I'll try again.

Anyone else seen this:
After upgrading to OS 9.1 from 9.04, I can't launch applications correctly from the Application Menu (specifically when it's "torn off" and floating on the desktop). If I'm in, say Photoshop, and I click another running application's icon in the App menu, that application won't launch until I physically click on the desktop to activate the Finder; then the app launches. I've also experienced other weird Finder anomalies I didn't document. Any help, suggestions, etc.?

What I've Tried:
  • Trashing all preferences
    Rebuilding Desktop
    Even a clean re-install of OS 9.04 then upgrading.
My setup:
  • PowerComputing 132 with Sonnet 375Mhz G3 card;
    177MB RAM;
    standard PowerComp. video card with 4MB video RAM

Bugs aside, is there any value in upgrading from 9.04 to 9.1?
Otis Day?? He loves us!

Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Jan 14, 2002, 07:55 PM

I don't think there's any non-anecdotal evidence, but I'm conviced that the 9.1 update (in fact I think this holds for most MacOS updates, except for os x) is very bad. Get yourself a copy of the 9.1 full installer, or stick with 9.0.4. I know Cipher13 is a big proponent of this philosophy

Originally posted by Mac-Guy:
<STRONG>Posted this last week with no replies. I'll try again.

Anyone else seen this:
After upgrading to OS 9.1 from 9.04, I can't launch applications correctly from the Application Menu (specifically when it's "torn off" and floating on the desktop). If I'm in, say Photoshop, and I click another running application's icon in the App menu, that application won't launch until I physically click on the desktop to activate the Finder; then the app launches. I've also experienced other weird Finder anomalies I didn't document. Any help, suggestions, etc.?

What I've Tried:
  • Trashing all preferences
    Rebuilding Desktop
    Even a clean re-install of OS 9.04 then upgrading.
My setup:
  • PowerComputing 132 with Sonnet 375Mhz G3 card;
    177MB RAM;
    standard PowerComp. video card with 4MB video RAM

Bugs aside, is there any value in upgrading from 9.04 to 9.1?</STRONG>
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2002, 10:17 PM

lucy - absolutely.

Get rid of that system and use the full installer, before it chews up your HD. Just do it, as dumb as it may sound.

The only time I've noticed a problem like yours is when Virtual PC is open and I click an app in the appswitcher - I have to move apps (to any app) manually (or by command-tab) before it'll change to the app I selected in the switcher.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Mac-Guy:
<STRONG>Anyone else seen this:
After upgrading to OS 9.1 from 9.04, I can't launch applications correctly from the Application Menu (specifically when it's "torn off" and floating on the desktop). If I'm in, say Photoshop, and I click another running application's icon in the App menu, that application won't launch until I physically click on the desktop to activate the Finder; then the app launches. I've also experienced other weird Finder anomalies I didn't document. Any help, suggestions, etc.?</STRONG>
Actually, this isn't a "Finder" glitch. The tear-off you're talking about is done by an application called "Application Switcher". I use the floating palette all the time under MacOS 9.1. Even have an AppleScript to install it where i like to see it on the screen (see code below). Have never observed the problem you describe. Have however seen these bugs:
  • Palette sometimes loses track of the current app and highlights the wrong one
  • Application Switcher sometimes crashes; can be restarted without rebooting

I don't think the problem you're seeing is MacOS 9.1 per se. I'm worried that your problem may be due to a corrupt directory structure on your HD. Have you tried running Disk Warrior? It will fix it if there is a problem, and is a disk utility everyone should have, IMO.

As other posters have suggested, you might also try a clean install of MacOS 9.1. But i wouldn't do very much at all with your HD until you've verified its directory structure.

<STRONG>Bugs aside, is there any value in upgrading from 9.04 to 9.1?</STRONG>
I absolutely could not live without the Finder's "Window" menu. Been using buggy third party products for years and glad to get rid of them. Been using 9.1 for so long now, i can't recall all the other improvements, but as i recall there were several. Stay away from 9.2.x.

Here is an AppleScript to show an icon palette of running apps (using Application Switcher). Save it as an Applet. I have an alias to this Applet in my Startup Items folder and have another in my Apple Menu.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
on run
(* Install a floating application-icon-bar just under the menu bar (right side) *)
tell application <font color = red>"Application Switcher"</font>
(* First step: Fully expand icon bar *)
try
set theBounds to bounds of palette -- fetch bounds rectangle
set item <font color = blue>1</font> of theBounds to <font color = blue>1</font> -- unconditionally reset bounds to left of screen
set bounds of palette to theBounds -- install new bounds rectangle; this expands icon bar if it was compressed
end try

(* Second step: Set the other properties we want *)
set properties of palette to {position:upper right, anchor point:lower right, button ordering:reverse launch order, frame visible:false, icon size:small, names visible:false, orientation:horizontal, visible:true}

(* Final step: Nudge the icon bar up a few pixels *)
set thePoint to position of palette -- Get the current position
set position of palette to {item <font color = blue>1</font> of thePoint, <font color = blue>17</font>} -- nudge it up now
end tell
end run
</font>[/code]

Mac-Guy  (op)
Jan 15, 2002, 03:33 PM

I'd suspect HD problems if it hadn't happened after several consecutive hard drive reformats and reinstalls. In fact, now that I think of it, the Finder problem existed on two different hard drives.

At this point, I'm suspecting a software conflict but haven't yet narrowed down which it might be. If I find the culprit I'll let everyone know.

I'll try and get hold of the full 9.1 install somewhere I guess, but who knows where. Other than that, I think I'll stick with 9.04. I will try your AppleScript, tho.
Otis Day?? He loves us!

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2002, 04:16 PM

<STRONG>I'd suspect HD problems if it hadn't happened after several consecutive hard drive reformats and reinstalls. In fact, now that I think of it, the Finder problem existed on two different hard drives.
</STRONG>
Well, you're probably right about that.

<STRONG>At this point, I'm suspecting a software conflict but haven't yet narrowed down which it might be. If I find the culprit I'll let everyone know.</STRONG>
Shut off all third party extensions and try it with the stock 9.1 extensions. If the problem goes away, you know for certain it's an extension conflict.

<STRONG>I'll try and get hold of the full 9.1 install somewhere I guess, but who knows where.</STRONG>
Maybe you can find a discounted copy of MacOS X 10.0? (not 10.1)! There's a MacOS 9.1 install disc in there. Then again, maybe it's just not worth tracking down.

But to be honest, i think i used the 9.1 update when it came out, before i had the 9.1 install disc. You could do a clean install of 9.0.4, then run the 9.1 updater on it. Takes a little more time is all. I'm not so sure the update itself is as much the problem as the fact you can't do a clean install with it (or so i'm assuming... you might want to verify that this is true).

I don't know that i necessarily agree (or disagree) with Xena, er lucylawless, about the 9.1 updater being problematic, but will point out that updating is an inherently error prone process (garbage-in garbage-out at work), so there may be something to Xena's comments for that reason alone (even if there is nothing technically wrong with the updater itself). YMMV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules