Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > IDE Probe?

IDE Probe?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2002, 01:44 AM

Is there a utility like SCSI Probe for IDE drives?

Suddenly, my iMac DV SE crashed, and is now giving me the "I can't find the System Folder" question mark, Disk First Aid is finding invalid BTree headers and MountCheck is reporting "serious errors" when checking the catalog file, and is unable to mount the drive.

I'm thinking that I might have to "manually" mount the hard drive with some utility, but am not sure if such a thing exists. Alternately, I am thinking that Norton Utilities, TechTool or something else might be necessary here... any suggestions?

Thanks!

Darren

Orpheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2002, 02:32 AM

>>I'm thinking that I might have to "manually" mount the hard drive with some utility, but am not sure if such a thing exists. Alternately, I am thinking that Norton Utilities, TechTool or something else might be necessary here... any suggestions?<<

Okay, I have found a bootable copy of Norton 6.0.2, and managed to fix a host of problems.... including the odd configuration wherein "There is no blessed folder, but there seems to be a System Folder." Upon fixing this, the drive mounted and now I can access it while booted off of the Norton CD.

However, upon rebooting from the newly-repaired drive, I get not the blinking blue folder/question mark situation, but a blinking floppy, and what sounds like my internal drive spinning and then stopping, spinning and then stopping consistently.

Huh?

-Darren

Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2002, 03:25 AM

What you need is DiskWarrier, its better than Norton. Solves nearly every problem.
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules