Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 Label sizes

OS 9 Label sizes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2000, 03:03 AM

I've been trying to find the answer to this for a while, but alas have come to no resolution.

*how do i increase the max length of a label?*

Currently, i believe the default for OS 9 is set at 31 characters. Is there any way that i can increase this to infinite? or a very very high number?
any help would be appreciated, thanks

------------------
da
voo~doo~funk~masta
da
voo~doo~funk~masta

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2000, 01:23 PM

No. Why would you want/need to?

And by the way, it's spelled "Cupertino"

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2000, 02:23 PM

i have a few thousand mp3's and after a while, many of the artist's names and songs don't fit in the alotted 31 spaces and they start to get mixed up with one another.

for example:

Dave Matthews Band - Tripping Billies (from the crash album)

vs.

Dave Matthews Band - Tripping Billies (from the Remember Two Things Album)

both of which i own
that's my problem, can't distinguish between the songs unless i do some serious cropping of the name that i don't want to do

------------------
da
voo~doo~funk~masta
da
voo~doo~funk~masta

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2000, 08:51 PM

Here's what I've done:
I set up a folder heirarchy with the top level named by the genre (Rock, Pop, Alternative, etc). Within each of those folders is a folder for each artist, and in each artist folder are folders for each album, then the tracks are named with the track number (01,02,etc) and the song title. There are still some names that are longer than 31 characters, but most are still recognizable. Using this, I can tell the genre, artist, album, and song title from the folder path. That's the best way I've come up with. Besides, using labels, you only have 7 categories.

Forum Links
Forum Rules