Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > FIle transfer vis Ethernet

FIle transfer vis Ethernet
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2002, 06:33 AM

Today in the newspaper in the tech section there was a letter column in which a user asked about the easiest way to transfer files from one computer to the other. The columnist answered by saying that Windows has software built-in (found in the "network neighborhood") to connect two computers using a single Ethernet cable.

My question: is this possible on a Mac without buying extra hardware or software. I tried to connect my friend's iMac DV SE and my iMac DV using an ethernet cabel and by going through the chooser, but I had not luck. If there is no free method, what would I have to buy?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 07:26 AM

Yes, it's easy. Probably you need an "cross-over" ethernet cable, not a normal one, or you go over a hub.
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2002, 08:17 AM

If you have Mac 2001 and up, you won't be needing a crossover ethernet cable. To enable the file share in OS 9, you will need to enable file sharing in File Sharing control panel and also enable AppleTalk control panel. At the other computer, open chooser and choose AppleTalk and you should see the computer on the list.

I'm not sure if I remember the instruction for OS 9 file sharing since I dont use OS 9 anymore. I use OS X full time

Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 02:26 PM

On the cross-over cable thing. You do need a cross-over cable (or a hub) if neither computer has a Gigabit ethernet connector. If one or the other has this, than you are all set to go with either a crossover or a regular cable (it auto-detects). Since neither the computes you were using have this connector, you need a cross-over cable.

On setting up the connection, one of the computers has to have filesharing turned on (control panels->File Sharing in 8.x-9.x, System Preferences->Sharing). If one of the computers is running MacOS 8.6-9.x have it be the server (MacOS X is a much faster client than earlier versions... on the order of 6 times faster). If you are running 8.6-9.x you will want to make sure you have checked the box for TCP/IP Filesharing (much faster than AppleTalk).

If you are using MacOS 9 as the client (X is a better client), then go to the chooser choose Appletalk, and then enter the server's ip address (so that it will choose TCP/IP). If you are using X as the client (Yea!) then Finder->Go->Connect to Server and enter afp://servers.ip.address. Then you are good to go.

Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2002, 02:40 PM

I was wondering why it did not work the first time. I realized that none of my computers have a Gigabit Ethernet card
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by larkost:
<STRONG>
If you are using MacOS 9 as the client (X is a better client), then go to the chooser choose Appletalk, and then enter the server's ip address (so that it will choose TCP/IP). If you are using X as the client (Yea!) then Finder-&gt;Go-&gt;Connect to Server and enter afp://servers.ip.address. Then you are good to go.</STRONG>
<font color = green>
What if I connect through a dial-up and my IP rotates? Do I just assign one to whatever computer (OS 9) I want to be the server?

Oh yeah, how can you find out if you have a Gigabit Ethernet card or not? I am assuming I don't.</font>

My website

Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2002, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
<STRONG>
What if I connect through a dial-up and my IP rotates? Do I just assign one to whatever computer (OS 9) I want to be the server?

Oh yeah, how can you find out if you have a Gigabit Ethernet card or not? I am assuming I don't.[/COLOR]</STRONG>
Didn't you ask for connecting two Macs witch stand next to another? So what are you going to dial up? Connect them and go! (As someone stated, file sharing has to be turned on at least in one of them).
You are using iMacs, they don't have GigaEthernet, only newer towers are equipped with it.
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 08:58 AM

You just cannot (as far as I know) connect simultaneously to Internet via PPP and another computer via Ehternet over TCP/IP. Just switch connection to do one or the other thing.

Regards
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by Hörnchen:
<STRONG>

Didn't you ask for connecting two Macs witch stand next to another? So what are you going to dial up? Connect them and go! (As someone stated, file sharing has to be turned on at least in one of them).
</STRONG>
<font color = green>No no no no no no!! I don't want to connect them to the internet, but my ISP supplies my IP address. I was asking if I just assign one to the "server" based on whatever numbers I like best </font>

My website

Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2002, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
<STRONG>

<font color = red>No no no no no no!! I don't want to connect them to the internet, but my ISP supplies my IP address. I was asking if I just assign one to the "server" based on whatever numbers I like best </font></STRONG>
The problem is that some of the posters above misunderstood you. They thought you needed to connect your mac to a mac far away. You just want to connect two macs that are right next to each other, so forget about servers and ip-addresses:

1. Get the crossover cable and connect mac 1 and mac 2

2. Enable file sharing on mac 1

3. On mac 2, you should now be able to choose mac 1 in the chooser.

Hope that helps. If not, just ask again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules