Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > The Error Types Saga or the mac through the window story

The Error Types Saga or the mac through the window story
FelixZeKat
Sep 5, 2000, 10:08 AM

OK i'm french messieurs so be indulgent with my english
I have an imac dvse 128mbram os8.6 (in french with lots of softs, ie5 oe5 Norton music softs etc...) so all the messages i have on my computer are IN FRENCH. It wiil be kind of difficult i think to translate them in english...won't be too hard in fact 'cause most of the times it's numbers
Now the problems :

1- Error types from 1 to 11...2 and 11 are the most common in fact

2- In french : 'erreur bus'..no idea what's this thing in french so u can imagine in english ...anyway this error seems to be linked to the finder and i have to restart my computer

3- the bloody finder : this thing is always freezing. No idea what's going on..i tried many things i read from this forum..(like deleting the prefs file or using techtool)

4-sometimes i don't even touch the computer and the finder "a quitté inopinnément" wich means has quit..wihch means in fact your computer is ready to fly

5- the flying : if i throw an imac through the window by any chance will it explode ?
someone ever tried before ?

Help would be great from u guys .

anyway good vibes from Paris
Felix

FelixZeKat
Sep 5, 2000, 11:44 AM

n°1

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2000, 10:52 PM

1. Error types 1 and 2 are usually memory related. Type 11 errors are due to problems with the operating system in 8.5 and 8.6. The type 11 errors are mostly fixed in OS 9.
2. Ditto for OS 9.
3. Same thing.
4. Same thing.
5. That would depend on how high up the window is. More than likely the display would explode on impact. This will definately void your warranty.

My advice would be to upgrade to Mac OS 9.0.4. You may also have an extension conflict, so start by installing a clean system folder. Then add extensions and control panels back one at a time, allowing enough time to make sure everything is stable before adding the next one. It's a slow process of elimination, but that's the best way to track down the problem. Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules