Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Associating Files to applications??

Associating Files to applications??
Senior User
Sep 5, 2000, 01:36 PM

Okay, how in the world do you associate media formats with applications.

My problem is this: I have some Mpeg files that'll play just fine in quicktime but they show a regular file icon. When I double click them the screen apears to select an application. Now on the other hand, I have some that show the icon and double clicking them launches quicktime and plays just fine.

I've been in the file exchange area and just can't figure out how to fix this problem, or am I looking in the wrong place??

Thanks!!!!

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2000, 01:48 PM

use ResEdit or BatchTyper or the likes to make FileType: MPEG; Creator: TVOD, and the mpeg files will be remembered as a QT file. (you can leave the FileType filed along and just change the creator to TVOD)

To use ResEdit...open the file you are working with. When it ask you about creation of resource fork, click "ok". Then go to the file menu and select "get info on 'filename'" and you'll see the attributes.
BatchTyper is a handy application that'll convert multiple files in one directory to the same type/creator. You can find it at http://www.versiontracker.com

I'm recalling all this from memory, so certain instructions may vary slightly. Goodluck.
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Tintim
Sep 5, 2000, 08:04 PM

File Buddy is a utility that is very useful to me. Check for it at http://www.versiontracker.com/ also.

Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2000, 05:36 AM

You can do this also with "Fast Find" if you have the Norton Utilities. Just search for the file that you want to edit with Fast find and once you have it click on the I button and choose settings there you will find Type and Creator.

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2000, 05:43 AM

in the quicktime control panel check "enable quicktime exchange" also .xxx extentions can be assigned in the file exchange control panel

------------------
-See Yea!

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 09-06-2000).]

Hap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2000, 01:57 PM

I think I've seen your problem. You didn't say what the files where you where having a problem with but for some reason sit files do not autoexpand when I click on them. If Drag them onto the stuffit expander they expand fine they just won't launch stuffit on there own and I get the same error message you do. The file mapping is set up correctly and I doubt I have lost the file type and creator so I don't think that that is nessesaraly your problem either. If you could let us know what kind of filese these are that would really help.

Thanks for your time
Hap

------------------
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2000, 02:59 PM

Man, I have a Contextual Menu Plug-in (CM Tools) that does that on-the-fly. I merely select "Open With QuickTime Player" and the plug-in changes the creator code for me with hardly any effort.

You guys should check it out. It does tons more than this, all through a Contextual Menu: http://www.delamusse.com/CMTools/US/index.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules