Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File Buddy won't delete files!

File Buddy won't delete files!
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2000, 07:57 PM

This really is an OS issue, because there might be another way besides File Buddy. I loaded it just to delete some pesky ________ files. (I tried spaces first, and in the topic line also, but they were ignored. If you haven't caught on, those files are invisible.) It didn't work. (File Buddy, that is.)

I should mention that I'm dealing with my old Mac with only 8MB of RAM running System 7.5.3

Anyway, File Buddy lists the invisible files, and they disapper from the File Buddy window when selected and deleted, but they always come back. What's up with that?

Gregg

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited 09-05-2000).]
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Justin B.
Sep 6, 2000, 02:06 PM

Can you rename it?
Is it there as soon as it is "moved" or after awhile?
Is filesharing turned on?
Have you run a HD repair utility?

Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2000, 07:14 PM

Try using ResEdit to open the invisible file. There's a "get info" command of some sort under the File menu, which should allow you to rename it or make it visible.

But what are the files? If they're reappearing after you've trashed them, they might be automatically created by some application (maybe even the system).

Gregg  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2000, 01:40 PM

Can you rename it? -I don't think so.

Is it there as soon as it is "moved" or after awhile? - Is it where? The files were trashed, and the trash was emptied. As far as I know, that's when the files were made invisible. See below.

Is filesharing turned on? No, I've never had file sharing on.

Have you run a HD repair utility? Yes. I'm still using MacTools on this machine, and System 7.5.3 as it is a 68030 with 8MB of RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try using ResEdit to open the invisible file. -I've never used, or even installed, ResEdit. I suppose I could download it from Apple and give it a try. I'm running the risk here of exposing my complete ignorance of ResEdit.

If they're reappearing after you've trashed them, they might be automatically created by some application (maybe even the system). -Yes, they were created by an application. I had temporarily installed TechTool Pro to make an emergency disk I needed for my G3. I then forgot that TTP was on there, and trashed a bunch of stuff, including TTP. (I was too focused on the G3, and neglected the 68030 for awhile.) The TTP Trash Cache settings were too high, especially for this machine. Perhaps another option is to use the TTP Emergency disk I made, and see if it will let me clear the cache. Not sure why I didn't think of that before, but explaining it here made me think of that.

Thanks for the replies.
Gregg

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited 09-07-2000).]
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Hap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2000, 05:32 PM

What are the names of these invisible files your trying to delete? They may be being used by something so they are open and cannot be deleted or perhaps they really are being deleted and then being recreated. If we knew what the names are we may be able to figure out why they are not being deleted.

Thanks for your time
Hap

------------------
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

Gregg  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2000, 01:26 PM

Some of them are just old Claris files. Some are TTP Trash Cache files with their signature bullets. Only a few are in some kind of "code" that I can't understand. Those I plan to leave alone. I hope to have time to tackle it again this weekend, but that might be tough. Too much to do, too little time.

Gregg

Forum Links
Forum Rules