Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.0.4 problem with Virtual Memory

OS 9.0.4 problem with Virtual Memory
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2000, 10:06 AM

I just noticed something disturbing with the Mac OS 9.0.4 updater. It seems if I have Virtual Memory OFF I have problems in that any folder I open is completely empty. Any folder I open has nothing in it plus I am unable to close any of the folder windows that I've opened. I also can't use the menu to restart or shutdown the PowerBook, I have to force restart. If I have Virtual Memory ON then I have no such problem.

I confirmed that this problem is due to the 9.0.4 upgrade because I formatted (using a spare drive) and reinstalled just OS 9.0 and things worked normally with Virtual Memory on or off. But once I applied the OS 9.0.4 updater I get the same problem as before when Virtual Memory is OFF. The only non-Apple utility I used on that clean drive before installing OS 9.0 was Alsoft's PlusMaker.

I am using a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (300Mhz) with 192MBs of RAM. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2000, 11:15 AM

Why did you use PlusMaker?

I have to say that doesn't make any sense to me. I don't have your PowerBook, but I have done dozens of installs and updates of 9.0.4 on 1400 thru G3/500.

When you format the destination drive, do a custom partition and select HFS Extended then with Drive Setup (1.9.2 ideally).

I like to put system on its own partition, can erase and set to HFS+ - which I just redid this morning after excessive testing forced me to reinstall 9.0 + 9.0.4 and ALL the updates, then booted off the new drive partition.

Gregory

Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2000, 01:15 PM

Plus Maker makes the minimum block size 0.5k instead of 4k on an HFS+ partition...I've done it on 4 seperate partitions on 2 different drives, tried various settings including VM off, and had no problems with it.

I suggest you rebuild the desktop, run DiskWarrior2, and try TechToolPro3 scans to see if you have any directory problems...Also, while you are at it, rebuild the desktop by going into ResEdit, make the invisible DesktopDB and DesktopDF(?), along with OpenFolderList files visible, and put them in the trash then reboot. Then you need to rebuild again after first rebuild...Oh, and trash your finder and system preferences as well, and zap your PRAM/NVRAM during one of those reboots...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2000, 02:23 PM

I think I found the culprit. It seems a utility I have "The Tilery 4.1" may be causing my problems. So far with this program taken out all runs fine.

Evangellydonut: You mentioned using PlusMaker on different partitions, but when I partitioned my drive into two partitions I can only use PlusMaker on the first partition and not the second. Any ideas on this?
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2000, 04:18 PM

'cuz you can't change the file structure of the booting partition...just like you can't optimize/defrag the booting partition in OS9...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules