Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help - Strange folder size behavior?!

Help - Strange folder size behavior?!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 10:59 PM

I've been experiencing strange behaviors on my Pismo OS 9.1 regarding folder sizes.

( . . . yes, I know many people recommend against calculating folder sizes, but I find it very useful and do it all the time.)

(Pismo; OS 9.0.4 -> 9.1 via online upgrade; 1 GB RAM; 30 GB IBM drive; Airport; DSL; Conflict Catcher; VPC 4; SilverLining 6.4.4; AppleSystemProfile ROM rev. $77D.45F6; Boot ROM v. $0004.18F5; Mac OS ROM file v. 6.1 )

Several months ago I observed that folder sizes were not being calculated even though my default appearance and specific folders had this check box marked. After many, many hours of troubleshooting I discovered an interesting interaction with Sleeper (St. Claire Software), but stay tuned, it gets stranger.

I found that when I removed Sleeper then folder sizes no longer worked. A new Sleeper install fixed the problem.

Messages to St. Claire did not identify any solutions.

Along the way I zapped PRAM, rebuilt desktops, did Conflict test with CC, optimized with Alsoft Disk Warrior and Plus Optimizer, tested with Tech Tools Pro, and with Disk First Aid.

More recently I did a clean install of the original Pismo 9.0.4 Software Restore, and again, no folder sizes. Thinking this might be due to virtual memory (off with 1 GB RAM) I removed 512MB (upper slot), but this did not help.

This is absolutely reliable and reproducible!
-Clean system - no folder sizes.
- Install Sleeper and boot up - OK (check prefs; no Sleeper pref)
- Open Sleeper control panel and close it again. No folder sizes. Sleeper pref present.
- Delete Sleeper prefs and re-boot. Folder sizes OK.
- Remove Sleeper control panel and re-boot.
- NO folder sizes!

?!

QUESTION ONE: Has anyone else observed this problem? I've tried searching archives and Apple site with no luck.

QUESTION TWO: (A) What is happening here? (B) Any suggestions for a fix?

My only guesstimate is a conflct between 9.0.4. and 9.1 and some recent PB firmware upgrade. OR, some sort of conflict with the new 30GB IBM drive.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed Gallaher

Forum Links
Forum Rules