Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacIP Over Localtalk in MacOS9 .. Need To Make It Happen!

MacIP Over Localtalk in MacOS9 .. Need To Make It Happen!
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2002, 11:23 PM

OK I'll try to make this preface brief, please don't make the thread about it...
OK I want to make a car MP3 player out of an old PC, it was brought to my attention that the sever climate changes of New England might cause connector to corrode and other things might also go wrong. So as an experiment, I decided to put a Mac in my un-insulated, un-heated, un-air conditioned shed indefinitely. Wanted small size and PPC, so 6100 was my choice. (DOS card was a dnet bonus, a small one). I wanted to run personal web sharing off of this thing so I could at least give people something tangible. Instead of, "I have a mac in my shed :-/", it would be, "I have a mac in my shed, this web page is hosted off of it ;-)" I wanted to be able to connect to it via file sharing over TCP cause my G4 is on a different physical network. Of coarse, I have to connect this mac to my router. The cost of ethernet vs localtalk (phone cord) is BIG to run a wire fro mmy bedroom across my yard into my shed. (don't forget the auii transceiver). The amount of work to lay the cable is much greater, for the cable that is twice as thick as phone cord, or more. Among all other, my parents aren't going to know about the 'tether', just the mac, so it need to be concealed. Plus I already bought the phone cord and speed wise, for what I'm doing, localtalk it more than though, i'll probably host the page about it, off of it and the image of the page on my G4. Anyway.... using IPNetRouter on my router to share to my etherhub and to my localtalk network. I spent 3 days getting that 6100 perfect for the task at hand. web sharing up and running, dnet also up and running. PC no up yet but it will solely be running dnet anyway. I had everything percect, I went to switch it from ethernet (its in the other room now) to localtalk... but in OS 9 you can't use internet over localtalk. DOH!!!!!!
That was probably more information than you needed, but I wanted you to see that the answer is NOT ethernet, the answer is some sort of software bride / hack / 3rd party utility that will let me connect to the internet over a properly routed local talk network. Please tell me there is one, or the Ice Mac expirament might fail before it even begins

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2002, 03:10 PM

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the Networking fora we go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules