Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Audio annoying sound

Audio annoying sound
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2002, 06:49 PM

Hi everybody,
since I bought my G4/867 , whenever I play an audio file , it remains a background noise coming out from the speaker, very annoying, can anybody help me?
TX in advance.
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2002, 10:51 PM

Not without giving us more information.

System specs (OS) etc... QT version... audio player... file type...

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2002, 05:51 AM

Ok I will have to check all that, but actually all my system is based in 9.2. Does it help?, I mean no extra version of any of these programs.
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2002, 03:58 PM

I've found under 9.2.2 (and possibly earlier) when I play a DVD I end up with static scratches in the background. I play the same DVD in OS X and it sounds terrific. I think its a bug in 9...

Interestingly enough, when I play an MP3 in OS 9 it sounds way better than OS X because I can adjust my iSub in the system sound. In OS X there is no way for me to crank it up. Under iTunes, even if I play with the equalizer, its almost impossible for me to tell weather or not my iSub is connected...

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2002, 09:20 PM

Ok I will have to check all that, but actually all my system is based in 9.2. Does it help?, I mean no extra version of any of these programs.
No, that doesn't really help. What type of audio files? MP3? AIFF? WAV? What programs? iTunes, Audion, SoundEdit? There are ton of variables here so you'll need to be more specific.

I have an 867 G4 too and haven't noticed any audio problems at all. I do get a weird little static in the speaker when I boot into OS9 while the audio extension loads.

Forum Links
Forum Rules