Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > LocalTalk Bridge Software

LocalTalk Bridge Software
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2002, 04:14 PM

Apple's own docs on this piece of software are very vague. It mentions using localtalk only printers on EhterMacs etc. My router is a Quadra, if I install localtalk bridge on it, will my G4 thats on the same hub as it be able to connect to my other computers that are connected to the Quadra via localtalk? On the Quadra, do I set Appletalk to use ethernet or localtalk?

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2002, 10:30 AM

Once upon a time, i played around with this little piece of unsupported software. If your Quadra has an EtherNet port, then yes your EtherNet networked Macs will be able to see your LocalTalk printers (provided the Quadra is powered up and running the software). But as i recall, the software is quirky and there are some things which are contraindicated (can't remember what off hand). There are doc's on this software, and you should look for them if you plan to use it.

A better solution is Farallon/Proxim's EtherMac iPrint Adapter LT. Little hardware widget that does the same thing, only a lot better. About $100. Works with MacOS X too.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2002, 10:55 AM

I'm not using it to share printers, I'm using it to connect a localtalk network connected to my Quadra's printer port to my ethernet network which the Quadra is also a key member of. Happy to say, it works perfectly!

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2002, 11:54 AM

Glad to hear it's working for you.

By the way, in spite of what its name implies, there's a version of the Farallon/Proxim EtherMac iPrint Adapter which will network a half dozen or so computers and/or printers just like you're doing (so if the software should ever fail to do what you want, there is another solution for you).

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2002, 11:59 AM

But the software is free and My quadra is already running 24-7, and now I can connect my G4 to any 68K i put on the network, without having to run OS 9 on it (which is impossible) or having to buy that program you can use to connect over tcp/ip, thats built into OS 9 but you have to pay for to get it into os 8

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2002, 01:17 PM

I wasn't suggesting you change anything. I was merely pointing out that, if the bridge software should fail to work for you in the future (for whatever reason), you have an inexpensive hardware option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules