Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Where to get iDVD2 For OSX

Where to get iDVD2 For OSX
Thread Tools
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Madison, CT
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2002, 09:50 PM
 
Howdy,
I understand that Apple sells the updater, but where can I get a copy of IDVD2 for OSX with the Themes, Tutorial etc...

I assume this is NOT on an OSX install disk.

Thanks
zigmont@mindspring.com
     
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Bar Harbor
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2002, 10:27 PM
 
It is my understanding that what Apple sells on the AppleStore is the full installer plus themes, etc. on a DVD disc.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oakland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2002, 03:00 PM
 
That is correct. You have to buy iDVD2 from Apple. It comes with all the tutorials and themes on CD, not a DVD disc. I guess all the extra material would make it too large to offer it as a download.

     
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Southfield, MI, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2002, 07:35 PM
 
Uh, isn't the iDVD2 package ONE DVD containing over 1GB of themes, etc.?

It is also a full install, not an update to iDVD 1. Not bad for $20.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)
     
Woody  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Madison, CT
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2002, 08:03 PM
 
Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
<STRONG>Uh, isn't the iDVD2 package ONE DVD containing over 1GB of themes, etc.?

It is also a full install, not an update to iDVD 1. Not bad for $20.</STRONG>
Thanks for the reply's, but isn't this an upgrade? Don't you need to HAVE iDVD2 already?

Looking for the application to buy....

zigmont@mindspring.com
     
-Q-
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2002, 09:54 PM
 
Originally posted by Woody:
<STRONG>

Thanks for the reply's, but isn't this an upgrade? Don't you need to HAVE iDVD2 already?

Looking for the application to buy....

zigmont@mindspring.com</STRONG>
Nope, don't need iDVD 1 at all. The disc you order from Apple is the full installer.

The problem comes when you try and run the application. The app goes and looks for a Superdrive and when it doesn't find one, it shuts down. There's a [url=http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macbidouille.com%2Fni ouzcontenu.php%3Fdate%3D2001-11-23%231645&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&prev=%2Flanguage_ tools]hack[/url ] to get this to work on a machine without a Superdrive but I've never gotten it to work on my iBook.

Edit: stupid UBB code

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: -Q- ]
     
Woody  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Madison, CT
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2002, 10:22 PM
 
Originally posted by -Q-:
<STRONG>

Nope, don't need iDVD 1 at all. The disc you order from Apple is the full installer.

The problem comes when you try and run the application. The app goes and looks for a Superdrive and when it doesn't find one, it shuts down. There's a [url=http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macbidouille.com%2Fni ouzcontenu.php%3Fdate%3D2001-11-23%231645&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&prev=%2Flanguage_ tools]hack[/url ] to get this to work on a machine without a Superdrive but I've never gotten it to work on my iBook.

Edit: stupid UBB code

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: -Q- ]</STRONG>
It's listed on the website as an upgrade and I believe the disk image is only 14 megs.
I have installed a Pioneer DVRA03 which is a superdrive......

Can anyone shed any more light on where/how to get iDVD2?
Thanks
     
-Q-
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2002, 11:19 PM
 
Originally posted by Woody:
<STRONG>

It's listed on the website as an upgrade and I believe the disk image is only 14 megs.
I have installed a Pioneer DVRA03 which is a superdrive......

Can anyone shed any more light on where/how to get iDVD2?
Thanks</STRONG>

It's listed on their site as an upgrade but it's the full installer. If you put the disc in the drive, it installs the full application. No prior version necessary. One complete application on your drive. You have three options: order a new Mac with superdrive; order the "upgrade" from Apple; or illegally obtain it from a file sharing service. Good luck.
     
tr
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2002, 01:39 AM
 
Originally posted by Woody:
<STRONG>

It's listed on the website as an upgrade and I believe the disk image is only 14 megs.
I have installed a Pioneer DVRA03 which is a superdrive......

Can anyone shed any more light on where/how to get iDVD2?
Thanks</STRONG>

where did you see that the disk image is 14 mb? i couldn't find any downloadable disk image for iDVD2 anywhere on apple's site. regardless if there is one or not, you should buy the upgrade that's on DVD from apple, because it contains all the themes and extra junk. it's like $20, you can get it here:http://www.apple.com/idvd/upgrade

on a side note, when i was thinking about buying iDVD2 a few months ago, i called the local apple store, to ask if i had to go to the online store to get it, or if the store carried it. the person i spoke to said that for now, you can only get it through the online store. but, he said there are talks about bringing a retail package (much like the OS X 10.1 update) to the apple stores; then he also added that this will probably be a few months, because the higher-ups and the store managers haven't set it in stone yet.

and i'll repeat what everyone else is saying, the iDVD2 update is not so much an update, but a full program. sort of like when they introduced iMovie2. sure, technically speaking, it's an upgrade from iMovie for OS 9, but it only runs in X, and you didn't need iMovie for OS 9 to install iMovie 2.


tr
     
Woody  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Madison, CT
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2002, 01:58 AM
 
Originally posted by tr:
<STRONG>


where did you see that the disk image is 14 mb? i couldn't find any downloadable disk image for iDVD2 anywhere on apple's site. regardless if there is one or not, you should buy the upgrade that's on DVD from apple, because it contains all the themes and extra junk. it's like $20, you can get it here:http://www.apple.com/idvd/upgrade

on a side note, when i was thinking about buying iDVD2 a few months ago, i called the local apple store, to ask if i had to go to the online store to get it, or if the store carried it. the person i spoke to said that for now, you can only get it through the online store. but, he said there are talks about bringing a retail package (much like the OS X 10.1 update) to the apple stores; then he also added that this will probably be a few months, because the higher-ups and the store managers haven't set it in stone yet.

and i'll repeat what everyone else is saying, the iDVD2 update is not so much an update, but a full program. sort of like when they introduced iMovie2. sure, technically speaking, it's an upgrade from iMovie for OS 9, but it only runs in X, and you didn't need iMovie for OS 9 to install iMovie 2.


tr</STRONG>

Thanks for the continuing replies.

I have been using DVD Studio pro and burning some VCR to DVD stuff with no menus, just jump points. Works fine.

When I saw Steve use it briefly during his MacWorld keynote, it looked pretty easy to generate a menu. Have you had any experience using iDVD2? I guess my question would be, can you bring in your own MPG2 files and PCM or A3 audio....or do you have to have the Quicktime encoder make all the files?

Thanks
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2