Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Defragment OS Hd

Defragment OS Hd
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2002, 04:59 AM

Hi I am not sure if that is the right word in English ¨defragment¨ . Well if you get to understand it my question would be :
- I have my O.S in a HD of 60 Gb , and it is divided in three partitions, can I defragment this Hd, or should I get another smaller Hd for my OS, so I can defragment the 60 Gb one?
A friend told me that I cannot defragment the Hd where the System is installed.
TX in advance
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2002, 07:06 AM

Your friend is wrong.

Start up from a system CD, by placing it in the drive and holding 'C' at startup.

Defrag once booted from the CD.

You simply cannot defrag the volume you are BOOTED from; it doesn't matter whether a system is installed on it or not, as long as it isn't active.

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2002, 10:35 AM

OK, in my case , when I bought my g4, all the software came in 4 discs except for the Mac os X, that came in 1 .
How do I get A disc to boot from the system I work with 9.1
-iPod 10 Gb

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2002, 01:24 PM

What i've done with my HD is to create a small (450MB) bootable partition for HD maintenance. I boot to it to defrag and/or run HD utilities on my main HD boot partition. Much faster and far more convenient than booting off CD's.

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2002, 03:39 AM

¨...create a small (450MB) bootable partition for HD maintenance.¨

So what I should do is create that small partition and make a copy in it of my OS (ie 9)?
No problem having the same OS twice?

TX
-iPod 10 Gb

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2002, 04:28 AM

I did an install off CD onto the small partition; i would not recommend copying the system folder from one partition to the other. Pretty much did a bare-bones (i.e. minimal) install, plus what ever "creature comforts" i felt i needed (e.g. extensions which make life easier). Very few third party extensions (maybe one or two). Keep It Sweet and Simple (KISS).

You can have a system folder on each partition, if you like. Even multiple systems on the same partition isn't much of a problem with 9.1 and later, but i wouldn't recommend it (except for a 9.x/MacOSX combo). You merely use Startup Disk control panel to choose which volume (i.e. partition) to boot.

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2002, 11:25 AM

oK I have got it , just make the easiest and most simple installation I can. I can see 450 Mb will be enough, but how do I make that partition?, do I have to clean it all up and make the 4 partitions I need from the beginning ' or is there someway I can do it without restarting from 0?
Sorry about all these questions Rainy day.
-iPod 10 Gb

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2002, 12:41 PM

That depends on what software you used to initialize/partition the drive. I believe that Apple's Drive Setup allows you to create a new partition from an existing one without reinitializing provided your partition has enough free space at the end (that's usually the case if it's been defragmented; at least the files should have all been moved away from the end of the partition).

If memory serves me correctly, the way you do it in Drive Setup is to shrink an existing partition, then create a new one from the "free space" on the drive. I think there might be a couple ways of telling it to shrink the partition, one of which is to click and drag on the bottom part of the partition's graphical rectangle (or maybe option-click and drag?) There's probably a menu driven text dialog as well (where you can tell it more precisely how many bytes to shrink it by, or the new size, or something like that). Drive Setup won't let me see the options for that without rebooting off CD, so you'll have to make do with my memory here and figure out the details on your own.

The drawback to shrinking a partition (as opposed to trashing the partition and repartitioning) is that you can't reset the minimum sector size of files (but the upside is that you do get to keep your existing files and don't have to go through the hassle of restoring from a backup). Sector size probably won't make a difference in your case anyhow, so this is really just academic. I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course, you should make a backup before doing this, just in case something goes wrong, but you really shouldn't need to use it if you do things correctly.

Oh, and one final comment: Of my 450 MB partition, i've only used 180 MB. I like having the extra headroom on the partition, however, as it facilitates software updates and placing a few disk utility programs on it, etc. This partition can also be used as an emergency boot drive if something goes horribly wrong with your primary boot partition (this has actually happened to me). About the only time when you won't be able to do that is if something happens to the drive itself, like it's tossed across the room while spinning, or gets run over by a truck or something.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Rainy Day ]

Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2002, 02:47 PM

I've gotta say, I don't think 450 is enough for a system drive. 900 min for overhead, and VM, etc.

I think creating a new partition is far too much trouble in your case; "keep it sweet and simple", advocated Rainy Day... I agree.

Boot up from the System Restore disc, and run DiskWarrior to defragment the hard drive.

I myself use partitions all the time; or, I did.

I had about 8 partitions all together, then when I'd gotten to a stage with 4 physical hard drives, I didn't need them anymore.

Partitions are wonderful indeed, but don't complicate matters beyond the realm with which you are comfortable.

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2002, 04:41 PM

When I grow up I also wanna have 4 physical Hdrives, and yes, then I won´t need the partitions, the problem that at the moment is not worth ´cause all the HD they are selling are BIG , though I just can simply put a copy of my system in each, so I can boot from one while I defragment the other , That is great CYPHER13.
TX to you both for your help.
-iPod 10 Gb

Senior User
Feb 10, 2002, 06:19 PM

I don't understand why things are so complicated here. In order to defragment your hard drive, you need a defrag utility. Either DiskWarrior's Plus Optimizer http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
or Norton's Speed Disk http://www.symantec.com/consumer_products/home-mac.html
Without one of these Utilities, you cannot defragment, as there are no defrag tools included in the OS.
Once you have the Utility disk, merely boot into the disk by holding the c key while starting, and run the defrag program.
There us no need to partition anything, shrink partitions, initialize, or any of the complicated stuff advised in this link.
Who are the Brain Police?

Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2002, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Fredo:
<STRONG>I don't understand why things are so complicated here. In order to defragment your hard drive, you need a defrag utility. Either DiskWarrior's Plus Optimizer http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
or Norton's Speed Disk http://www.symantec.com/consumer_products/home-mac.html
Without one of these Utilities, you cannot defragment, as there are no defrag tools included in the OS.
Once you have the Utility disk, merely boot into the disk by holding the c key while starting, and run the defrag program.
There us no need to partition anything, shrink partitions, initialize, or any of the complicated stuff advised in this link.</STRONG>
I never advocated partitioning in this instance.

I assumed he'd defrag from the app local to the HD, hence requiring a system disc to be used for boot.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2002, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>I've gotta say, I don't think 450 is enough for a system drive. 900 min for overhead, and VM, etc.
</STRONG>
Like i said, 180 MB is all i'm using on my 450 MB partition, so yes, it's way more than is needed for a minimal boot partition that is only used for routine HD maintenance & emergency recovery work.

Originally posted by Fredo:
<STRONG>I don't understand why things are so complicated here...
There us no need to partition anything, shrink partitions, initialize, or any of the complicated stuff advised in this link.</STRONG>
If you read the thread you'll see no one has said it was necessary... merely that having a small partition with a minimal system can be very handy. Booting off a small partition is very fast and far more versatile than using CD's.

The reason for shrinking an existing partition is to easily make room to add a new (small) partition and avoiding the rather difficult work of otherwise initializing and repartitioning the drive, and restoring from backup. Shrinking a partition and adding a new one really is not that difficult nor complicated and wouldn't take much more than five minutes (assuming a defragged HD).

Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2002, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Rainy Day:
<STRONG>Like i said, 180 MB is all i'm using on my 450 MB partition, so yes, it's way more than is needed for a minimal boot partition that is only used for routine HD maintenance & emergency recovery work.</STRONG>
Oh, of course.

I thought you meant for a fully-fledged system; a partition dedicated entirely to the System Folder which is used during normal operation - not a backup system.

Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 04:43 PM

Well ligux, I think Fredo gave you the best advice,

I use both DiskWarrior and Norton's Utilities and find they work together very well. You said you have 3 partitions on your HD. You would have no problems installing an operating system on each partition...you could then select either partition to boot from. In my case, I installed my utilities (DiskWarrior, Norton Utilities, TechTool Pro, and a few others) on more than one partition and can then always boot from one partition to do maintenance on any other partition.

If you don't have any of the afore-mentioned utilities and want to get by with just one, my personal preference would be either Norton Utilities or TechTool Pro. Either will defragment, and both will let you do HD maintenance and repair...For directory repair I like DiskWarrior.

Just my 2-cents worth,

Matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules