Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How much can I slim down classic in OSX?

How much can I slim down classic in OSX?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2002, 04:20 AM

I've taken the plunge and gone with OSX.1 on my icebook 500. I have 9.2.2 as my classic OS but when it starts it takes a while to load so I wondered how much of 9.2.2 can safely be trimmed from the extensions manager? Do I need the base OS9 set or can I remove more than this. Internet will be all OSX so can I disable open transport etc, do I need monitors extensions etc or will Classic fail to work if it too stripped down?

Whats everyone else doing?

TIA
Glenn Bartlett

Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 06:13 PM

Howdy Glenn,

It's my understanding you don't even have to have OS9.x of any size to run OSX.1.2. In other words, OSX.1.2 can be installed and run without Classic.

How ever, If you want to run any OS9 application while in OSX, you will have to have OS9.x.x installed either on the same partition with OSX or on a separate partition and it will have to have the extensions needed for that particular application.

I have a partition with OS 9.2.2 and all the PPC applications I've used for years...then I have another partition with OSX.1.2 and have selected the OS9.x partition as my Classic choice. Since several PPC applications cannot be run from the OSX environment, I can then reboot into the OS9 partition to run those apps.

Startup time in OSX should not be affected by anything in OS 9.x, unless you have selected your Classic environment to start when you boot OSX...you do know this can be selected/deselected in the System Preferences Classic Pane?

Hope this helps,
Matt

Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2002, 06:23 PM

open system preferences and click on the classic pane. go to the advanced tab and choose "turn off extensions." click on start classic and it should load faster.

-r.

Forum Links
Forum Rules