Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Startup Disk Scripting

Startup Disk Scripting
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2002, 10:45 AM

I was working on this, but I get a "access not allowed" error. Does anyone know how to patch this up so that it works:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
tell application <font color = red>"Startup Disk"</font>
activate
set Disk Volume to alias <font color = red>"Mac OS X:"</font>
set «class sysf» to alias <font color = red>"Mac OS X:System:Library:CoreServices:BootX"</font>
quit
end tell
</font>[/code]
I always use protection when fscking my Mac... Do you?

Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 11:39 AM

This is what I have to boot into X:
tell application "Startup Disk"
activate
set startup system folder alias to alias "Mac OS X:System:Library:CoreServices:BootX"
quit
end tell
tell application "Finder"
restart
end tell

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2002, 02:00 PM

In Mac OS 9.2.2 (AppleScript 1.7) I got this error when trying to run what you gave:

A application constant or consideration can't go after this application constant or consideration
then I tried adding quotes:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
tell application <font color = red>"Startup Disk"</font>
activate
set <font color = red>"startup system folder alias"</font> to alias <font color = red>"Mac OS X:System:Library:CoreServices:BootX"</font>
quit
end tell
tell application <font color = red>"Finder"</font>
restart
end tell
</font>[/code]

and get "access not allowed" again.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2002, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>set <font color = red><font color = red>"startup system folder alias"</font> </font> to alias <font color = blue><font color = red>"Mac OS X:System:Library:CoreServices:BootX"</font> </font> </font>[/code]

There should be no quotes around <font color = red>startup system folder alias</font>

For what it's worth, xyber233's AppleScript is essentially the same as what i use (AppleScript 1.6/ OS 9.1) and the code/syntax is correct. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work for you, even though you're using AppleScript 1.7/ OS 9.2.

Why don't you open the Script Editor, turn on recording, bring up Startup Disk, select your MacOS X volume, and go back to the Script Editor to see what you get.

Please post your results here. Thanks.

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Rainy Day ]

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2002, 02:28 PM

What I posted is what I got, that is why I don't know why it doesn't work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules