Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 installer messed hard drive device driver

OS 9 installer messed hard drive device driver
mkantor
Nov 20, 1999, 04:17 PM

Hi, I installed OS 9, and it upgraded my hard-drive's device driver. Unfortunately, this upgrade has resulted in my Powermac 7100 no longer being able to boot. It hits the point where it reads in the device driver, and then fails to procede to try finding a system disk (which means I can't even boot off of a CD or floppy disk). Are there keys I can hold down during boot that will prevent my computer from reading the device driver? I tried command+option+shift+delete, but that didn't do it. (I had the same problem after installing OS 8.6, but don't remember what keys I used to get my machine to boot).

Thanks!
Michael

Professional Poster
Nov 20, 1999, 11:02 PM

from the Mac OS 9 Tech Note: "For installation on 6100, 7100, and 8100 models, the computer must be booted from the Mac OS 9 installation CD." http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1176.html

so, perhaps you just loaded the CD into your drive and installed OS 9?

try command+shift+option+c to try to make it boot from CD (or maybe even just the 'c' key by itself)

if you can get it to boot from the CD, I'd go straight ahead and reinstall...

mkantor
Nov 21, 1999, 07:34 PM

No, I booted from the CD when I did the installation, I tried booting from CD with the 'c' key pressed (I'll try the command+shift+option+c when I next get to that computer), but so far it doesn't boot off of CD, floppy or external hard-drive, even though I can tell that it gets to the point where it reads in the device drivers, but doesn't ever look for a system disk.

Thanks!
Michael

Forum Regular
Nov 24, 1999, 02:09 PM

I know this doesn't help your problem right now, but during the installation of the OS, there is a "Option" button that can be de-selected so it will NOT update your hard disk drivers.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 1999, 05:01 PM

Reformat from your backup. You do have a backup before installing new OS? You were using Apple drive or made sure it is supported by Drive Setup 1.8.1?

Disk Warrior can help backup but requires mounting the drive AFTER booting from Warrior CD etc. and having a backup volume available.

I assume you have PDS G3 upgrade and latest drivers for the card? Sonnet just posted a new driver. Don't know if Newer has one yet.

Maybe a new hard drive, swap it form external case, install it, and put your internal in the case.

eidoloon
Nov 27, 1999, 09:56 AM

The key command sequence for booting to a CD:
command/option/shift/delete. That sequence will force the box to skip the hard drive device driver.
Note: /not/ on USB keyboards...

mkantor
Nov 27, 1999, 04:09 PM

Well I fixed it by pulling the power on my internal hard drive, and only powering it up after the machine had booted, and then using an OS7.5 disk formatter to install older drivers on the hard drive... A very messy process that makes me wonder what the people at Apple could have been thinking... (the command+option+shift+delete really should have bypassed the device drivers!)

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules