Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > AOL Says "Good Bye" with OS 9 Auto Update

AOL Says "Good Bye" with OS 9 Auto Update
voltsxamps
Nov 23, 1999, 01:12 PM

Since upgrading my Powerbook G3 (Wall Street) to Mac OS9 I have been unable to invoke the Apple Auto Update feature. Each time I get click the last button in the process, to start the software checking and download process AOL instantly says "Good Bye" and disconnects. Have others got the same problem and, if so, have others solved the problem.

wormman
Nov 23, 1999, 08:51 PM

OS 9 quits all open applications when updating, so it doesn't work with AOL in it's current verion. You'll just have to download the updates off of apple's site

Ignatius
Nov 26, 1999, 12:49 AM

How do I get my computer not to "timeout" when using the auto update feature? Everytime I try the connection is droped because of "lack of activity". What should I do?

brannighan
Nov 29, 1999, 06:45 PM

Call AOL's 800 MacTec line. they are very helpfull.

ken22
Dec 4, 1999, 12:37 PM

I don't think the Software Update feature of OS 9 quits all open applications. Although there has not been anything to update, I have manually checked. I have MacPOet, Netscape, and an invisible application, NetBarrier, running. None of them quit.
Perhaps there would be a quit if they downloaded, but most likely it would be after the download when the installation takes place.

Ken

Forum Links
Forum Rules