Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 and Mac Clones

OS9 and Mac Clones
suldes
Nov 24, 1999, 02:49 PM

I have a PowerTower 225 running OS8.6. Any thoughts on upgrading to OS9? We PowerComputees don't have the luxury of support any more, and are adrift in the Apple world, wondering when the balloon will pop. Every system advance involves trepidation as we wonder how far our hardware will take us. Any PowTow folk out there using 9? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by suldes (edited 11-24-1999).]

Admin Emeritus
Nov 24, 1999, 05:07 PM

Well, while I haven't tried it myself, I don't see why it shouldn't work. If you want to be sure it works, make a folder on your hard drive "old" or something, and put everything inside. Then do a clean install of OS 9. If it boots successfully, then it's probably safe to move everything to the new OS.

tooki

Gromit
Nov 27, 1999, 02:31 PM

I have a PowerTowerPro 250 and I'm running OS 9. It's very stable, despite having lots and lots of extra control panels and extensions. Nothing to worry about as long as you back up all your data first, just in case.

konrad2
Nov 29, 1999, 08:25 AM

You should check out the forum for MacOS 9 at the Power Computing forum at:
http://www.powerwatch.com

[This message has been edited by konrad2 (edited 11-29-1999).]

MichaelBeale
Dec 14, 1999, 01:51 PM

so, if I also have a PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro 180, and can't seem to get any OS greater than 7.6 to run with any sense of stability, I probably have other problems right?

note: I recently had to replace the Processor card.

[This message has been edited by MichaelBeale (edited 12-14-1999).]

Professional Poster
Dec 14, 1999, 03:23 PM

Yep, definately sounds like a problem other than your OS... I have OS 9 running smoothly on a PowerCenter 150 (which has had a handful of G3/G4 upgrades in it... currently it has a G3/500, I think).

Senior User
Dec 15, 1999, 08:27 AM

I've got a PowerCenter Pro 240 upgraded with a 275 mhz RailGun G3 running OS9 smooth as silk. Make sure you update your apps for OS9.
Only problem I'm having is with Virex....newest version hanging at startup. Will have to try it on my G4 to see if it has the same problem.....
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules