Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > GetMyIP

GetMyIP
OTAP
Nov 25, 1999, 02:49 PM

Anyone else noticed a mysterious icon/application called "GetMyIP" in the preferences folder after upgrading to OS 9?

I'm understandably paranoid by something named thusly.

Also, I'm having trouble with Remote Access refusing to recognize my modem. Upon clicking "connect"...the status goes from "idle" directly to "Connecting", ignoring my G3's internal modem and skipping the "Dialing" portion of the process.

Any suggestions?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 1999, 07:24 PM

I'm not sure the problem has to do with OS 9. I sold a friend my older G3 with OS 8.6 and her hard drive crashed (disappeared from the desktop). I went to her aid and ran Norton Disk Doctor and Norton AntiVirus. The NAV siren went off and said an application was by name of GetMyIP was causing the problem after getting her system restored. I found it with Sherlock but when I tried to delete it I got a message telling me the application was locked. In any case, I finally got it to the trash. Neither of us know where it came from. It was not on the computer when I sold it to her but she uses AOL and I do not. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 1999, 01:22 PM

Here is a little more information on GetMyIP. If you go to the site http://isell488.eng.ohio-state.edu/getmyip/ you will find a hypertext to Roger Chapman. I have contacted him and, along with some other information, learned that this is a Windows application. It therefore appears that someone with Windows PC's who have this application and are corresponding with mac users are passing this along somehow. It is apparently replicating itself on the mac OS similar to a virus and causing havoc. Mr Chapman stated he will look into this problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules