Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bad Open Transport Extension mucking the works?

Bad Open Transport Extension mucking the works?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2001, 12:53 AM

Hiya. My inaugural newbie post last week had to do with a loop I was in where I kep locking up, rebooting, then getting stuck again.

Since then, I've progressed a bit more but still have a problem. I think I've isolated at least part of the problem. I have no clue if that's true, though, or how to solve it.

The problem is related to my Mac trying to talk to 2 servers I have a connection with on my network. The connection/password dialogs come up. I cannot cancel them. When I enter the passwords, the machine locks up. The culprit extension (at least one of them) is Open Transport ASLM Modules. When I boot up with the network cable disconnected, I don't have the problem because the network connection dialog boxes don't appear. *

I'm on a G4 450, 128 MB RAM. (More memory on the way.) OS 9.0.4.

Virtual memory is off. I turned off many extensions, and restarted after systematically turning some extensions back on, one at a time.

I don't yet have a nice utility program; I've got Norton Utilities and Disk warrior on order.

Any suggestions for attacking a network-connection problem like this when I can't get on a network or the Internet?

Not enjoying my Mac right now,

Kaya

* P.S. aw, crap. Now I still get a locked up Finder. How do I reset my Finder prefs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules