Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > My internal HD destroyed by OS9

My internal HD destroyed by OS9
forth
Nov 28, 1999, 06:21 PM

Hello,
A few days after installing OS9 on my internal Quantum Viking II hard drive, my computer crashed. Upon restart, my beige Powermac G3/333 could not read from the drive at all. Fortunately, I was able to boot from a CD and install OS8.5 onto my external drive. But my disk utility Hard Disk Toolkit reports that it cannot read my internal drive's first block. No luck from Norton or Tech Tools Pro either. Does anyone have any other ideas about how I might be able to mount this drive so I could reformat it?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
-Dan

Professional Poster
Nov 29, 1999, 10:01 AM

have you tried Drive Setup? if it can recognize your HD perhaps try to update your HD driver, of course if Drive Setup can recognize your HD it can be initialized.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 1999, 07:39 PM

This sounds similar to what happened to me on Friday.

I finally wound up doing a low-level format with Drive Setup (whatever version is on the 8.5 CD I bought last December), then zeroing the drive.

First, though, I ran it through Disk Doctor about seven times to clean up all the errors. At least, I THOUGHT it got them all. TechTool Pro 2.5.3 caught a few problems that NU didn't get, and it couldn't fix them. THAT's when I did the low-level format.

Your drive SHOULD still be usable.

Good luck!

forth
Nov 29, 1999, 09:47 PM

Thanks for your replies, penginkun and wlonh. No, Drive Setup recognizes that there is a device at my internal drive's SCSI bus, but it reports that "there is no disk in this drive". I received a reply from FWB/Hard Disk Toolkit (I used their drivers originally) and they said that their software is incompatible with OS9. Since I never replaced these non-Apple drivers during my OS9 install, (not a smart move) this is likely what damaged the disk. If the disk is not physically damaged, do you think a utility like Disk Warrier might be able to mount and format?

I appreciate your help...
-Dan

fleshhorn
Nov 30, 1999, 10:19 AM

I actually have had a similar problem, but unrelated to OS 9. I have two internal hard disks in my G3 8500. I boot from a 4 gig, and have a nice Seagate baraccuda 9 gig for storage. One day the seagate did not mount on my desktop, I shutdown and it reappeared on the restart. But it seemed the drive was spotty mounting, maybe conflicting with my CD burner or external zip drive. After troubleshooting I decided it was unrelated when the drive refused to spin-up at all, in this machine and a different one! Both of these drive use FWB HDT 3.0.2 drivers, which they say are compatible, just not some of their tools. So Seagate honored their warrantee and sent a nice 12 gig back for free. I highly doubt that the drivers rendered the drive physically useless, don't you think? Any feedback./.

forth
Nov 30, 1999, 10:03 PM

Hello,
First of all, kudos to Seagate for replacing your drive with a bigger one! And yes, I agree with you that HDT couldn't physically damage a hard drive, whether a compatibility issue existed or not. Hard drives have moving parts, so they can wear out over time. Although it is doubtful that my 14 month old drive would break down, I suppose I can't rule this possibility out. I had a similar problem with it once before, but FWB mounter was able to do a reformat after which everything was fine for months.

In my case now, I have to assume HDT was responsible for the drive's first block getting corrupted since they admit to the incompatibility with OS9. Getting back to my original question, do you know of a mounting or other disk utility program that might be able to get my drive to at least mount on my desktop? Or is there a diagnostic that can determine if a drive is physically hurt?

I appreciate any info from anyone...
-Dan

Forum Links
Forum Rules