Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac 68k 040 emulator on PPC

Mac 68k 040 emulator on PPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2001, 11:15 AM

I would like to run collector apps in a collector OS on my G4. Is there a 68k emulator that would allow me to simulate a (030, 040) Quadra, or IIcx on My G4?
thanks

greg
Lao_Tseu

Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2001, 04:15 PM

The 68K emulation function is built into every PowerMac, you don't need extra software to run 68K program, you can run it directly on Mac OS.

Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2001, 05:08 PM

While the emulation is indeed great in the native OS for 68k apps. Some of the extensions and system changes in MacOS9 have broken more 68k apps. For pre 68040 software there has been vMac that emulates a Classic Mac (original 68000 processor).

Basically, there are many applications that *DON'T* work well or at all in the emulation under the regular OS. And it would be nice to have it in a seperate window or at least the option of a windowed environment for these older applications.

I'd love to see a program like BASILISK II for the mac. It is a mac 68k emulator that works wonderfully and can run ANY mac 68k app and supports networking, full colors and fast emulation for win9x or NT.

Can anyone port it!?! Its been ported from a Linux version, so I think it could be done with XWindows running in OSX or better yet a native carbon app! Anyone up for the challenge?

lapinos  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2001, 04:08 AM

The 68K emulation function is built into every PowerMac, you don't need extra software to run 68K program, you can run it directly on Mac OS.
Yep, that I know. But in fact I need something like vMac for 030. I would like to have a good old System 7 boot, and all the black & white interface, and 256 colors....
... running on a 2xG4!
I'd love to see a program like BASILISK II for the mac.
Yep! that would be some great job! Just for fun and the beauty of it.
Old System versions belong to history. I spent months with system 7, I cannot forget it easily.

greg
Lao_Tseu

Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2001, 05:03 AM

You could always cough up $50 and buy a Quadra or Centris.

Be nifty if someone could write a ROM and Firmware hack so I can use MacOS 8.5.1 on a G4. Sniff.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

lapinos  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2001, 05:09 AM

Yep, right!

But at the moment, I prefer using 150 MB than half a desktop, just for nostalgia....

My old 8100, 8500 and current G3 are enough.....

greg
Lao_Tseu

Forum Links
Forum Rules