Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 on non GX Computers

OS 9 on non GX Computers
Chris1035
Nov 29, 1999, 12:55 AM

Just to let you all know, i installed OS9 on my powerbook 1400/117 (yes, its a 603e chip) and it runs great! its got 48 megs ram and a 750 meg HD. no where near what apple says it should be run, but its great!! loading time is abit longer, but very fast afterwords!!
thought i'd let ya all know.
also, why is there a major lag when starting up? My G3/400 takes forever to start up (while the extentions are loading) compaired to 8.6
thanks!!
Chris

bweseman
Nov 29, 1999, 02:16 PM

I have OS 9 installed on a 7200/75 with 96 MB of RAM. Runs fine except for that annoying 10 second delay after the desktop and icons appear. Tried to install it on a Performa 6214CD, but it wouldn't work because OS 9 needs 32 MB real (this one only has 24).

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 1999, 06:57 PM

Do you have TCP/IP set to DHCP? It could be polling for a IP address. Are you connected to a network?

Chris1035
Dec 1, 1999, 08:48 PM

I haven't had the delay with the desktop that everyone has. The only delay i get is during the parade of extentions, it pauses for about 10 seconds then starts loading again. I didn't have that problem with previous OS upgrades. Oh well, small price to pay for performance and ease of use!!
-Chris

petemel
Dec 11, 1999, 09:58 AM

This delay happens on my iMac too. I think it might have something to do with the Appearance extension. It seems to take as long as swapping to a different theme.
My tip: walk away when starting up, then you won't notice any delays.

Forum Links
Forum Rules