Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 availability ?

OS 9 availability ?
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 1999, 05:28 PM

I just returned from the CompUSA in Emeryville, CA and they do not have any copies onthe shelf at all. A salesman explained that he thought they were returned due to problems with the software itself. He didn't seem too sure of himself though. Neither of the tow iMacs on display were running OS 9. If Apple recalled the rpoduct due to a problem, what about those of us who purchased it directly from Apple, are they going to let us know there is an issue????

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 1999, 08:22 PM

Although I myself think 9 is a flawed release, one which SHOULD be recalled until they can get it RIGHT, the salesbot's speculations were just that - speculations.

According to a statement on macosrumors, this is just something confined to CompUSA.

Don't just take my word for it, though - go there and read it for yourself.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 1999, 09:19 PM

fleshhorn
Nov 29, 1999, 09:24 PM

How the hell is it a flawed release? Anyway, word from Apple is many retailers bought too much and/or the orders were mixed. Read the story from the previous post.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 1999, 02:19 AM

I would say any operating system which renders one's boot volume unusable flawed.

I do know people who've had no trouble at all, but after spending last weekend repairing my hard drive, I'm ready to chuck 9 in the trash for good.

bb2well
Nov 30, 1999, 07:43 AM

I would say any operating system which renders one's computer faster and more stable than it's ever been is fundamentally unflawed.

MikeMac
Nov 30, 1999, 10:10 AM

From the "MacsOnly!" web site:

Mac OS 9 Recall Mystery Solved: From Scott Hall, CompUSA GM, "To clarify the reason why many CompUSAs are out or low on OS9: The stores were mistakenly directed to ship back most or all of their on-hand quantities of OS9. While the error was caught and communicated to the stores, a few stores did not get the message in time and shipped the product back. We are in the process of replenishing all of our stores and should be stocked again by the end of this week."

fleshhorn
Nov 30, 1999, 11:11 AM

I would call someone who has no clue how to troubleshoot their computer and complains that its the software is flawed. Any takers?

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 1999, 12:43 PM

Let's see...

I'm flawed because I don't know how to troubleshoot my own computer? Dude, that's what I do for a living.

You want a laundry list of what I did? Fine:

1) boot from the OS 8.5 CD and run Disk First Aid. This tells me that the volume is still intact, but that there are major problems. It's not specific, but that's OK; I at least know there's hope.

2) boot from norton and run through six or seven times. This enables me to - at LAST - mount the disk. Turns out the Master Directory Block - ever heard of that? - was toasted. Went through Speed Disk once, too, just for the heck of it.

3) boot from TechTool Pro and find that there are some more flaws in the directory structure that even it cannot fix.

4) do a backup of the irreplacable data

5) boot from the 8.5 CD again and this time run Drive Setup. Reformat the drive with the low-level and zero options engaged. Then I do a plain reformat just for fun.

6) reinstall 8.5, then apply the 8.6 upgrade.

Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty flawed all right... I may not be the God of All Things Macintosh, but I've been using them since 1990, and I have a fair idea of what to do in a crisis.

Before you go attacking someone's statements in a public forum, I think it would be wise to first get to know the person you're going after.

Perhaps if you'd read a few of my other posts, both in this forum and in the iMac forum, you might have know what I do for a living. You might also have known that I successfully resolved this problem only a short while after it came up. You might also realise that I posted what I did as both a warning to others, and a guide to them for what to do if it happens to them.

Please think about these things before you post. Thank you.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 1999, 02:05 PM

You didn't like the other guy "attacking" your credibility, but you slam Apple for a "flawed" OS release? I seriously doubt the OS upgrade caused the damage you claim. What was the hard drive formatted with before the OS 9 install? Did you try running DiskWarrior? It replaces directories instead of just repairing them. Nobody knows all of the details leading to your disaster, but you publicly slam Apple and you may very well have done something wrong. Any time an OS or application is updated, some people have problems - there's NO WAY to avoid that. But to make a blanket statement about a product and then want your opinions protected is humorous.

Scott

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 1999, 02:32 PM

Long story short -

Last week I reformatted my hard drive. Ran the OS 9 install. Ran with it for a couple of days, no apparent problems.

Shut down the mac for a week, and when I came back on Saturday I started getting weird "file is damaged" and "unknown" errors whenever I tried downloading or saving files.

I figure, rebuild the desktop and zap the pram, then run Disk Doctor.

When norton booted up, the system asked if I wanted to reformat the drive "untitled".

Now what do you think caused that? Installing StuffIt? Oh, I don't own Disk Warrior - too expensive for a one-trick pony.

As to my complaints about Apple - as a customer, don't I have the right to gripe about a product which has caused me grief? I've heard plenty of complaints in the past, some in much more public forums than this one.

Fleshhorn came after me without having any idea who I am or what I do for a living. Of course I'm going to be upset about that. Do you understand where I'm coming from here?

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 1999, 08:24 PM

Yes, I do. I'm a Mac Analyst, by trade. I know a pretty decent amount from my 15 years on Macs. I have seen some of the issues others are reporting (you included). I made darn sure to only install OS 9 compatible apps/util's and things I was willing to experiment with that are my staples (Outlook, IE, etc.)
I think this has been tougher to get working than past OS updates. I also expect a certain amount of hell when making these changes. I guess I don't know what level of trouble warrants the tag "inherantly flawed". All software, to some extent, is I guess. If not, we'd all happily run X.0 software forever?
That said, I do understand your frustration(s). And yes, you have the right to groan/bitch/gripe as a customer of anything. But by the same token, those happy users have the right to take offense to your statement. We all are obviously passionate about this stuff (or we wouldn't be here) And it's very easy sometimes to take it out on each other. I actually miss this sort of banter from the good ol' days on UseNet. I don't like much having moderators snuffing good banter - but that IS their right to do so.
Cheer up, things will improve. I know in six-months we'll all be back here bitching that OS 9.1 was so good - Apple really f^&*%ed up this OS X stuff!

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 1999, 10:15 PM

Enough is enough.

Any more personal attacks and I'll close this down and delete the thread. The thread started with a misunderstanding at CompUSA and degenerated from there.

Let's all behave.

Thank you.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 1999, 10:43 PM

Don,
Overreacting, don't you think?

Scott

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 1999, 10:43 PM

Don,
Overreacting, don't you think?

Scott

fleshhorn
Dec 1, 1999, 05:50 PM

PenginKin, I appologize for questioning your ability, wrong thing to do. Not to make excuses, but I have heard so much bitching about OS 9 from people who haven't exhausted all of their options before busting up the product, you happened to be the one that set me off, totally my fault. From what I read, it seemed you gave up on 9 and right down to 8.6 ( and even 8.5.1 maybe you said ), so I assumed you were one who hadn't a clue about troubleshooting and dumped on Apple instead.

As for Don the moderator, there is no need to threaten the members by "closing" down this thread, this type of thing occurs on forum's everywhere, (take a look at Slashdot!) we get the picture.

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 1999, 05:03 AM

This forum is for public use, granted, but we need to maintain some sort of control. Attacking users can be done in private, we don't need to hear about it. We still welcome your input, but please, keep the personal attacks private.

fleshhorn
Dec 2, 1999, 10:37 AM

Well obvious you didn't hear me the first time. I said I understand about the personal attacks "we get the picture." By any chance does Hitler moderator these boards?

Forum Links
Forum Rules