Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacPortrait

MacPortrait
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 1999, 09:36 PM

Anyone using MacPortrait from Portrait Display Labs?

I've got a G4 Sawtooth running OS 9 and a Portrait Pivot 1700 monitor. Nearly every time I boot up the finder unexpectedly quits. I'm using MacPortrait V6.2.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. JJ

R.E. Kramer
Dec 1, 1999, 07:15 PM

Portrait Display Labs are liars.
1. At purchase they said the video acceleration would work in Portrait mode. It never did and never will.
2. They said that the new driver from their Legacy division would work with both my video boards, Twin Turbo and 3d Ultimate Rez. V6.0.1 not only did not work, but it screwed up the display as to be unsuable!

Remove both the Control Panel and Extension and be resolved that you now have an expensive horizontal monitor.

BTW where did you get V6.2 from?
Please email: REKramer@email.com

stephend15
Dec 26, 1999, 10:59 PM

Speaking of the MacPortrait monitor, have any of you had trouble with the degaussing? Mine no longer works. Any idea what it would cost to have it fixed off warranty, or what kind of shop other than the manufacturer might be able to repair it?

Stephen R. Diamond

jjmac4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 1999, 05:29 PM

For degausing, the mechanism shouldn't be any different than the one on TVs. I have a Mitsubishi TV with a degauss button. You might check with a TV repair shop.

As an update on the driver problem...RE Kramer reported to me offline that there is a 6.2.1 beta which should fixes many of the problems. I haven't tried it. I was able to get PDL tech support (jcoon@portrait.com - very helpful) to tell me that removing the ATI accelerators extensions solves the OS 9 incompatibility. That worked for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules