Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9, what a headache!

OS9, what a headache!
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 1999, 10:41 AM

I have been spending way too much time trying to get OS9 to work properly on my G4/450 and have about had it with both the OS and the hardware. Apple products are supposed to be much easier to deal with. Apple was in way too much of a hurry to please Wall St., getting both items to market before they were ready.

Dec 1, 1999, 11:48 AM

OS9 works just fine on my G4/450. I installed it in about 10 minutes. What doesn't work with your system

-Sam

fleshhorn
Dec 1, 1999, 12:08 PM

I wonder why the hell people are having such problems with OS 9. Pop in the CD, turn your machine on holding the C button down, once booted start the installation. 6-8 minutes you're running the OS. What is the problem? I have done this on everything ranging from Clones to G4's, not one hickup.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 1999, 08:02 PM

Not saying Caleach specifically, but a lot of it is because people are still using pirated final canidates and late process internal seeds that got leaked out. If you want stability, buy MacOS 9.0 and support Apple!

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 1999, 01:53 AM

Well, I've often found that I've had zero problems with a new MacOS while all around me were having errors out the yin-yang.

It stands to reason that not everyone will have the same experience. I've had nothing but headaches with 9 at home.

Here at work, we installed 9 on a couple of the iMacs recently, and apart from my tangerine having these weird bouts of sluggishness, or just being outright non-responsive for several seconds at a time, there are no problems to report. Same installer, same CD, everything the same, except the hardware (iMac vs PowerMac 7500/200). Go fig.

fleshhorn
Dec 2, 1999, 09:49 AM

Your accounts are sluggishness are almost certainly due to the ATA drives spinning up and down. This happens frequently with iMacs and IDE B&W's. Check your Energy Saver, an OS 9 install clears your old preferences

Forum Links
Forum Rules