Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DOS disks in OS9 ?

DOS disks in OS9 ?
Dec 1, 1999, 11:36 PM
Da facts.

IMac DV SE OS9, File Exchange 3.03, SCSI Zip drive on a Quadra 700 OS7.5.3 PC Exchange 2.0.5, Ethernet (direct Xover cable), Appletalk, File sharing etc...

Da situation.

both machines see each other, apple volumes mount & appear on the desktops, no problem...
DOS formated disks (1.44 & Zip ) are fine on the Quadra.

Da problem.

DOS formated disks do NOT show up on the iMac

Any thoughts?
Dec 2, 1999, 09:54 AM
Ok, on the iMac, in the File Exchange control panel, is mount PC Disks at startup checked? Also try mounting them manually if this doesn't work with the mount now button. If this fails, I suggest getting a copy of SCSI Probe 5.1.X from Adaptec and give that a shot! hope this helps
Dec 3, 1999, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestion... been through all xcept SCSI probe. When I get it I'll post a followup.
Dec 5, 1999, 09:59 PM
Sorry to report that I was unable to resolve the problem. In addition to fleshhorn's suggestions I tried reformatting the ZIP disk (DOS format) on the Mac... plus the usual rebuilding the desktop. Thanx anyway and I'll follow up if I get it figured out...
Dec 15, 1999, 01:12 AM
Da Lowdown

Ok it seems as though the problem is that File Sharing won't recognise the DOS volume formating...clearly a bug.

However, "Patrick" at iMac tech support provided a reasonable workaround:

1. create and share a new folder on the iMac.
2. the shared folder is then visible on the Quadra's desktop.
3. files can then be dragged directly between the DOS volumes (ZIP or floppy) and the shared folder on the Quadra and the iMac.

it works, just make sure to share the folder (shared property from the "get info" dbox (a cable icon will be appended to the folder icon one the shared prop is set).

it works wintell files (txt, exe etc.(obviously .exes are useless without an emulator) as well as pi's (platform independent) like jpg tiff etc
Forum Links
Forum Rules