Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > System Folder Probs

System Folder Probs
Dec 2, 1999, 02:22 PM

Since I got OS 9 (I was one of hte lucky ones to get it in early October) I have had this problem twice.

The computer crashes, I restart... Blinking system folder with a question mark. I boot up off hte OS 9 CD... It can't mount the drive and offers to initialize. I cancel... I then run Nortons on the drive and it fixes the problems, so the disk is mounted. Then I have to go into the system folder and open the System Suitcase to 're-bless' the System Folder...

Any ideas?

------------------
-Jericon
-Jericon

CreativeEdge
Dec 3, 1999, 12:57 PM

I too have had this problem three times...the first two were fixed by disk first aid...this last time (yesterday) i was not so lucky...i fixed the drive but every time i tried to reboot it asked to initialize the disk...i would run first aid and it would fix the drive and i couldn't boot from it after that. also our server (8.6) lost a shared folder yesterday...the contents are there , but invisible and since it is on an external firewire drive i can't run first aid/tech tool on it...i am sunk (need to back up more often)

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 1999, 04:09 PM

I have a similar problem. I keep getting a corrupted system suitcase in Mac OS 9. I've had to replace it several times. Techtool Pro 2.5.3 reports it as having somethign wrong and that is needs to be replaced. I have had problems where when I click on an icon nothing happens. Strange. Well if anyone has any suggestions let me know. I have made a copy of Virgin system suitcase and Finder. And use them to replace it when it happens.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

ken22
Dec 4, 1999, 10:52 AM

Is anyone running Action Utilities? If so, there is a change in the prefs that may solve the problem.

bruiser
Dec 4, 1999, 12:21 PM

I had this problem multiple times. It is so frustrating that I've gone to a borg 8.6. So far no problems there.

My problem may have been due to the processor card that I have installed. When I had my Apple brand 604e/132 installed, the MacOS 9 Installer would quit during the reading of the installation tome. No configuration on the installer would bypass this problem. However, when I installed my stock 601/100, the installer worked fine. I would then replace it with the upgrade, only to have the system file corrupted within a couple restarts.

Whether the system would have remained intact if I kept using my stock card, I don't know, but that wasn't an option anyway.

bruiser
Dec 13, 1999, 10:30 AM

Just a little update on my problem. I just got my Powerlogix G3 250/125 w/512K cache, installed it, and decided to give OS9 another try. It installed perfectly and has been running for days with no system crashes and no system/finder problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules