Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quicktime playback problems

Quicktime playback problems
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2001, 10:12 PM

Alright, I've been pulling clumps of hair out of my head over this. I have a 7600 upgraded to a G3/250, and when I play certain quicktime movies, they stutter so bad that the video is not watchable. Literally 2 or 3 seconds per frame. The sound, however, works fine. This only happens with certain .MOV files, nothing else. I have tried both the Voodoo3 3000 and the built-in video of my 7600 to play back the movies, and it doesn't solve anything.

To give a common point of reference, I have the September MacAddict CD, and the staff video ("Mactanic.mov") stutters like I have described, right around the time the boat is about to go down the "waterfall."

Here are the hardware and software specs of my machine, just in case it's something in the configuration.
  • Power Macintosh 7600/132 upgraded to NewerTech G3/250, 512 KB L2@ 125 MHz
  • 128 MB physical RAM, 129 MB virtual
  • Voodoo3 3000 PCI with 16 MB SGRAM
  • 4 MB VRAM in the standard video controller
  • Sonnet Tempo UltraATA/66 IDE adapter with 9.2 GB Seagate and 7.4 GB Samsung hard drives, both 5400 RPM
  • Farallon NetLINE PCI 10/100 ethernet interface card
  • Stock CD-ROM (Apple 1200i SCSI-2)
  • Mac OS 9.1
  • Quicktime 5

If there's anything I've missed, please tell me.

Please help me with this, it's driving me crazy!

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2001, 04:07 AM

Could be a matter of how it was coded, since .mov is a container for many film formats. It could be your bus speed, or maybe even your slow chip. Try reducing the disk cache in the memory control panel, and turning vm off, and see if that helps.

iNub  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2001, 02:31 PM

I knew I'd forget something.

This happens with virtual memory enabled or disabled, from a CD or hard drive. Originally I thought it was my slower processor or my video card, but it plays MPEG and AVI files just fine. Windows Media Player 7 works fine, which as I understand is a feat in itself.

I've tried this with my disk cache at low settings, and high settings. It doesn't affect anything, because I give Quicktime player 64 MB of memory, and as far as I know, the movie loaded into memory if there is enough to spare. Maybe I'm wrong.

My bus speed and processor don't seem to be the problem, though, because everything else works fine. I play Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 on this computer all the time, and those are far more video intensive than a simple 320x240 movie.

Heh, if there's anything else I don't have listed...

Forum Links
Forum Rules