Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Finder quits/pram

Finder quits/pram
newsmac
Dec 7, 1999, 07:40 PM

I also have the finder quitting upon start up, tried trashing the finder prefs & rebuilding desktop, but neither one worked. I tried to zap the pram, using the "cmd+option+p+r" keys after shutting down, but when i do this, all the machine does is sound as if it is starting up, then quits, then sounds like it will start up again, then quits. my screen goes to blank grey at first then goes black, then grey again, on & on again until i release the keys then start up proceeds as usual, but since none of my control panel settings have changed, and the finder still quits, i dont think that the zap was successfal. Am i missing something? Anyone have any suggestions? BTW I have a B&w G3/350 w/OS9. TIA for any help :-)

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 1999, 07:18 PM

newsmac,

I've heard that the finder can actually get corrupt. Try copying the finder from the OS 9 CD to some place in your hard drive, then boot up with the OS 9 CD. Next delete the finder in your system folder and copy in the new one.

Download the free "Tech Tool" program. It does a more complete job with both zapping PRAM and rebuilding the desktop files (it actually deletes the desktop files where finder just rewrites them).

Good Luck!
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

newsmac
Dec 11, 1999, 12:03 PM

CyberGreg, thanks for the help, works great now. :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules