Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 Software Update fails over modem

OS9 Software Update fails over modem
mbharrin
Dec 8, 1999, 02:45 PM

I'm trying to use OS9's Software Update feature to upgrade OpenGL. I can get it to work at work over the Ethernet but it doesn't work on my home machine over PPP/56k. The updater gets about 1/3 of the way through the download and hangs. Turning off the Power Saving features didn't help. Any ideas?

It's a B&W G3, 350MHz with internal GV modem.

---matt

Dec 9, 1999, 03:52 PM

Hi,
I had almost the same problem(B&W G3/350 Apple Modem), except that my machine forces me to reboot without downloading ANYTHING. It shows that OpenGL update is available... I tried it lots of times and it never worked.
I suggest that you get the upgrade from Apple's site directly.
It woould be nice to see the Software Update feature work though...
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11545

Good Luck

------------------
Once you put your hand in
the flame you can never
be the same, there's a
certain satisfaction in a
little bit of
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

Dec 9, 1999, 11:00 PM

Yeah the Mac OS Update thing didn't work for me either. In fact I don't think it worked for anyone that is why Apple posted the stand alone installer. So it is not a problem that only you experienced. I am sure there were a few wrinkles in Apple's system that they wanted to test before the Mac OS 9.01 update is released in January only available through the Online Update thing. Hope that helps.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 1999, 11:56 PM

I'm trying the auto-update thing here at work as I write this. I should note I work for an ISP, and we have what amounts to a T1 on every desktop.

It's crawling. It doesn't appear to be locked, as such, but it's just going very, very slowly. I'm not going to bore you all with a blow-by-blow update. Instead I'll post again when (if?) it succeeds in updating.

BTW, I'm just doing the OpenGL 1.1.2 upgrade.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 1999, 12:08 AM

Well, I started the update around 15 minutes ago. It just finished, and it's finished restarting.

All in all, 15 minutes on a direct ethernet connection is really, REALLY rotten. It's no wonder the modem-based upgrade connections are failing - they're probably timing out before they can really get going. Apple's servers are either swamped, or wholly inadequate. Either way, the end result's the same.

Personally, I'd rather download the update myself and apply it myself. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, eh?

newsmac
Dec 16, 1999, 09:02 PM

I tried, unsuccessfully, 3 times to use the software update, and got the same results that I see here...Starts, hangs, then nothing, so I went straight to ASU page and got the download of OpenGL in about 5 minutes. Also got it just as easy from Version tracker's site. Now I'm wondering if it is the updater or the file itself? Could be either one. BTW, I use a B&W G3 w/internal 56K and dial up ISP. Any comments appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules