Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9.1 install removed 9.0.4....

OS9.1 install removed 9.0.4....
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2001, 03:33 PM

Hi

Just took the plunge to install OS9.1 on my G4 ( running 9.0.4 from before). I installed it according to the on disc instructions and i also used the same partion as the OS 9.0.4 . I was hoping to "keep" the 9.0.4 system folder just in case some "vital" driver or extension would not work with 9.1. After installing....the OS 9.0.4 folder simply just vanished!! It seems like all the important "stuff" works fine under 9.1, so it`s all ok, but is this normal behaviour?

I used the 9.1 CD from a " fresh " OSX package.

Thanks
Tom

Senior User
Aug 28, 2001, 03:49 PM

Yes, it's normal behavior, I believe. The 9.1 install should have removed/replaced 9.0.4 files in your system folder with 9.1 equivalents, but *shouldn't* have eliminated unique files, i.e. if you had certain extensions in your 9.0.4 folder that the 9.1 install didn't have (say certain hardware drivers) it should leave them there, and that's why your stuff still works. a "clean install" would have overwritten the 9.0.4 system file altogether.

I haven't heard of two "blessed" system folders on the same partition, unless it's an X/9 arrangement, but I could be wrong.

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2001, 09:09 PM

If you want two seperate System folders you need to select the "Perform Clean Installation" from the options button in the Installer.

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2001, 11:30 AM

Hi.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
I should remembered that what i wanted to do was a " clean install " to keep the 9.0.4 system. I have asked about this before, but it just disappeared from my mind
Ah well, everything works, so there is no harm done

Thanks again.
Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules