Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 and Performa 6300CD

OS9 and Performa 6300CD
mudbug65
Dec 12, 1999, 02:51 PM

Hi,
I own a Performa 6300 with OS7.5.1 and I'm interested in upgrading to OS9.
Is my 100 mhz 603e *really* fast enough?
OS9 requires 32mb of RAM minimum. I have only 2 memory slots each filled with a 16mb SIMM. Should I max out my RAM (at 64mb) or will 48mb be "enough"? (the 16mb SIMMs will be useless to me after I replace them)
During installation, should I update my hard disk drivers? I remember reading a warning that the 1.2 gig drive that came with my system will be corrupted if I update the hard disk drivers or use any version of Drive Setup other than the one that shipped with 7.5.1

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 1999, 05:28 PM

Well... at the very least you should move up to 7.5.3. 7.5.1 is probably the most crash-prone version of the MacOS ever. Ever.

Nils
Dec 16, 1999, 12:30 PM

Shouldn't be a problem I think. Right now I'm working with Mac OS 8,5 on a Performa 5300CD and it works fine. However I have yet to update Mac OS 9 so I can't say for sure. You needn't worry about the Hard Drive though, mine's been spinning without any problem for the last 4 years.

Nils Carlson

KevinH
Dec 19, 1999, 10:11 PM

Sorry dude, but your answer had nothing to do with the original question ... so why are you wasting people's time with an irrelevant answer ..?

Eddie
Dec 22, 1999, 02:14 PM

mudbug,

1) In my opinion 100 Mhz should be ok, it wont seem any faster than 7.5.1 but it wont be too much of a drag on the system.

2) I would max the ram upto 64mb. Then you will probably get away without virtual memory and should run alot more smoothly.

3) hard disk drivers... If there's any way you can make a back up just in case the hard disk becomes corrupted then you'll be fine. (I've updated the Hard disk drivers on my 6320 plenty of times with no problems)

Just a little tip... System 7.5.1 is about the WORST OS you could run on your mac... it will be very buggy because it's primarily designed for non PPC macs. If you don't updated to OS 9, you should at least get the free update to 7.5.5 (I agree with Herr Newton on that one)

I'm running OS 8.6 on my performa 6320 (120 mhz) with 40mb of ram (Doubled with ram doubler to 80mb) i've updated the hard disk drivers dozerns oftimes, without any problems. From what i've experienced you should be ok.

Hope this helps.

Eddie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules