Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sherlock 2 wont start up

Sherlock 2 wont start up
Dec 19, 1999, 07:09 PM
I've now run into problems with sherlock 2 on two seperate machines.
I went to use sherlock to search my local disk but got an error message saying couldn't start due to a type 2 error and to quit all other apps and restart the machine (which I duely did)
Since then I cant use sherlock and I get the same error message. I've increased the memory allocation, rebuilt the desktop and reinstalled the sherlock componants on my G4/400 but to no avail. This also happened on a rev a iMac and even clean system installs on that machine didn't help.
This happened out of the blue and I've not installed anything since I last used sherlock.
Any help would be appreciated.
Also I cant get Netscape communicator to read the internet control panel preferences or it's own without an error coming up. Multiple users is off.
Someone please help as I'm starting to hate OS9!
Dec 19, 1999, 11:53 PM
Not sure exactelly what the problem w/ Sherlock II is. I had the exact same problem but increasing the Memory allocation fixed it.Netscape on all the computers I have ever run never ever seems to recognize the Internet Control Panel so I wouldn't worry about that. This wasn't much help I guess. Sorry. I am sure somebody will be able to help though.
Dec 20, 1999, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. I had already increased Shelock memory but the thing that cured it was to zap the pram and it's now working!
Anyone know if Sherlock 2 is more likely to corrupt pram?
nb still no luck with netscape and preferences, may have to go over to IE 4.5 (aaargh)
Dec 23, 1999, 01:03 AM
Delete Sherlock preferences in the Prefs folder in System Folder. Restart. you should be okay now.
Forum Links
Forum Rules