Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bare Mac OS 9 Package?

Bare Mac OS 9 Package?
Seagull
Dec 22, 1999, 08:05 AM

Recently, I purchased a retail Mac OS 9 box and surprised to see that the content inside the box is quite bare. The manual comes with the package is nothing more than 14 pages installation booklet and no mention about how to use the various software in the OS. I know that there are online guides in the help menu, but most people would prefer the guide in paper. Also cosidering that if you buy a Windows 98 package, including the upgrade one, includes a book of 120 pages, covering many topics about how to use the OS.
Another thing is the CD case. The Mac OS 9 CD comes in a thin white paper case that could easily be torn. How do you keep the CD in good condition with that? I know that to buy a plastic CD case to put the CD in is cheap but you will not have the title on the side and the cover for convience. Windows 98 CD comes in a better case than that! What do you think?

Dec 22, 1999, 12:39 PM

You know, you have a point there. We're paying $89-$99 for cardboard, a CD in a paper slide and a small installation manual. You'd think they could give you the $0.50 CD case and pay the $6 for a manual.

Jeez.

- oZ
- oZ

ProfDave
Dec 29, 1999, 12:23 AM

Well let's see. We could mention the thousand hours of programming that went into it; the salaries for all the programmers, promotion, testing, debugging and . . . you get the idea. We are not "just" paying for a box and a CD.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Seagull
Dec 29, 1999, 02:18 AM

Yes, of course I agree that developing quality software requires a lot of time and effort. But I still think that to make sure the users get the best out of the quality software that the company has put much resources into developing, the company should produce an adequate manual for the users to read. Also, a good CD case can enhance the users' view of the quality of the CD and that the CD could be kept more safely for longer.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 1999, 02:25 PM

Still, Apple bills itself as a "green" company. While I myself don't believe all the environmental hype the EPA is pumping out, I still find it hypocritical of Apple to say they're green and on the other hand release a product with a huge box and only a couple scraps of paper and a CD inside. Heck, why not just sell the package in a somewhat larger jewel case (I've seen some on Japanese audio CDs which are slightly deeper and can accomodate a nice, thick booklet) and cut out the cardboard altogether?

It would be different if, like the copy of CorelDraw we just purchase, it came with several (or even just one!) thick manual, but of course it doesn't.

I remember when Apple manuals were worth more than the paper they were printed on. Those were the days.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 1999, 10:35 PM

Other great points aside, the main reason it comes in the size box it does is because every other software box is about that same size.

Whether it's right or wrong, that's the size of the racks in software stores, as if anyone not in a major city has ever seen Mac software on a store's shelf.

I live in a town of about 30,000 people. The only Mac software I've ever seen comes in a brown cardboard box with Airborne on the side.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 1999, 10:20 PM

Touche.

Well, them's the breaks I suppose. Of course, I came from Ft Wayne, Indiana to LA, and the selection's not much better out here. Of course, it doesn't help that Best Buy totally turned their backs on us...

Forum Links
Forum Rules