Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iMac/OS 9 infernal indexing!!!

iMac/OS 9 infernal indexing!!!
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 1999, 06:18 PM

Can anyone figure out how to get iMacs NOT to index at midnight every day? It drives me nuts when I'm playing a game or something and my mac desides to index! It's driving me nuts! I turn it off but when I restart it turns back on! Help!
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral credit to be gained by virtue of sharing the same race with a great and admirable individual. "

My Website

newsmac
Dec 26, 1999, 08:11 PM

Open Sherlock 2 , go to the find menu, click on "index volume" and UNCHECK the "use schedule " box. that will turn off the scheduled time for indexing. Or even better, clik once on your hard drive's name, and clik on the "schedule" button, then when the pop up box opens with all the days of each week in it, UNCHECK all of the days, and that will turn it off completely. Happy Holidays, hope this helps.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 1999, 12:16 AM

Mac Guru,

Its still a good idea to keep your HD indexed to benefit Sherlock 2 searching. What I tend to do is keep the scheduler turned off, then wait until I have nothing better to do (usually before I shut down and go to bed) then manually index the HD. On an iMac, it doesn't take long at all, despite the alert message that says it takes "a while".

Have a Happy New Year.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 1999, 02:19 AM

Indexing with OS 9 on my iMac Rev. B takes FOREVER...any suggestions?

Mac Elite
Dec 27, 1999, 03:24 PM

Okay...

I have turned it of about eight times but it turns itself back on after I close Sherlock! I don't ever use the search by context feature so I don't want it to index! I have an 18GB HD so it takes forever! I'm real close to just chunking Sherlock and installing OS 8's FindFile util!
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral credit to be gained by virtue of sharing the same race with a great and admirable individual. "

My Website

newsmac
Dec 27, 1999, 09:40 PM

beverson; you have a couple of options. 1) Go thru your HD and get rid of old, un-needed, & unused files, programs, ect... 2) increase the memory allocated to the Find by content application. There are probably some other things that will help too, but these are a start. Good luck.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 1999, 01:36 AM

Turn off the extenstion: 'FBC Indexing Scheduler' You may have to do it by hand as opposed to using the extensions manager.

Sounds like your Sherlock prefs. are corrupt anyway. Try trashing them as well, though you may as well turn the extension off as it does use a miniscule amount of RAM.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 1999, 11:25 PM

Is it possible to use MacOS 8.5's find file? Which extensions would you need to bring over? And as I recall, 8's find indexed the drive, too.

My suggestion would be to leave your Mac on all night sometime, and schedule the indexing to begin at, let's say 1:30am. Assuming you're not a night owl (as am I) your Mac should be long finished with its indexing by the time you awake. Just a thought.

Forum Links
Forum Rules