Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > List Views custom default?

List Views custom default?
Rick58
Jan 3, 2000, 12:06 PM

pardon me if this has been answered a million times ...

I thought I saw (back when System 8 came out) a trick for setting your own custom default in List views. I like the old "Name/Size/Kind/Date Modified" format of the old OSes ... and I would like that to be the default.

Sheesh! I can see getting rid of ADB, & maybe the floppy, but I like the old list view format! Thanks ... - Rick.

Senior User
Jan 3, 2000, 08:56 PM

Select "Prefernces..." in the Finder's Edit menu. Click the "Views" tab and customize away...

Rick58
Jan 5, 2000, 12:04 PM

That settings panel doesn't allow you to set the *order* in which the columns are arranged.

I want Name, Size, Kind, then Date Modified (in that order) to be the "Global Default For All Time".

Thanks anyway for the reply! - Rick.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2000, 10:41 AM

Hi,

I guess that you wouldn't be comfortable with a permanent ResEdit-style patch applied to the Finder to implement a global re-ordering of list columns (if it is even possible in Mac OS 9.0)? Well, there are other alternatives... :-)

As you know, ever since Mac OS 8.5, for a specific folder in List View, it is possible to click on any column header except 'Name', and drag it to the left or right into whatever position you want. [You could even make the column order the same as it used to be in System 7.x.] For example, if you do this for a volume's (or folder's) window, then all *new* subfolders created inside that volume's (or folder's) window will inherit their parent's new custom column order.

However, changing the column order for all your *existing* folders is more difficult. For that task, you'll need one of the following:-
  • A third-party utility, something like List View Editor 5.1 for Mac OS 8.5(+?), which apparently functions similarly to the way in which the older CoolViews 1.1.x utility did in Mac OS 8.0/8.1; however, it does require that Frontier be installed.
  • Or, an AppleScript script that propagates a volume's (or folder's) custom column order to all enclosed subfolders. [You may recall that Apple once provided Utility Scripts for Mac OS 8.0/8.1, including one named 'Set View Prefs of All Folders'. That script is now somewhat obsolete, given the ability in Mac OS 8.5+ to set a "default" or Standard List View; nevertheless, it still lives on in its new incarnation as the Folder Action script named 'add - set view prefs to match'.] Unfortunately, I don't think any of the publicly available view-propagation scripts will propagate a custom column order. (Apparently, Mac OS 8.5 and later versions store a folder's custom column order in an invisible 'Icon\n' file, rather than in the disk catalog where the other view settings are stored; so, that file isn't used just for custom folder icons anymore.) Note: Since the Finder cannot normally be scripted to copy an invisible file, any script which tries to recursively replicate an invisible 'Icon\n' file to all subfolders would need the help of a scriptable third-party application or scripting addition that allows copying invisible files, such as the "Jon's Commands" OSAX, available at Jon Pugh's web site.

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 01-12-2000).]

Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2000, 12:00 PM

or... howsabout ordering them manually, you can drag and drop the 'Kind', 'Size', etc., to where you want them...

keep it simple.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2000, 03:49 AM

Hi again,

Yes, I agree that the manual drag-&-drop method works in 8.5+ (and I did mention this in my previous post). It may be sufficient if we want to change only a relatively small number of folder windows (and, at least the custom column order will also be automatically inherited by new subfolders). However, if we have relatively large numbers of existing folders from pre-8.5 days, and we'd like to change all or most of them to have the same custom column order, it is rather inconvenient to do that via the manual method, to say the least.

I ran into this very situation when I upgraded to Mac OS 8.5.x early last year. At the time, I'd hoped that Apple's older view-propagation scripts would somehow propagate the new column-reorder feature, but of course they don't. I myself have *thousands* of folders (don't ask, it's a long story) that I'd like to automatically adjust with uniformly reordered columns.

I know it's not a life-or-death situation, but it is nevertheless a daily minor annoyance for me. One of these days, I just might get around to trying one of the third-party utilities, or writing my own tool or AS script... or, then again, maybe I'll just wait for Mac OS 9.1 or X Client. Wish me luck. ;-)

Regards,

--Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules