Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 turns 7200 into snail

OS9 turns 7200 into snail
John L. Bill
Jan 5, 2000, 11:20 PM
I recently installed OS9 on my 7200/90, and it is so slow that my machine is almost unusable for running QB Pro and faxing with Global Fax Software. I try to fax a purchase order or anything else from Quickbooks,using Global Fax, and it takes about 2.5 minutes before the machine even dials the phone #. When I go to log on to the machine using the multible users panel, it takes a minute or so before the machine responds. I have 94 megs of ram installed, virtual memory turned on.Can anyone help me with this? I am about to go back to OS8.6 I use this machine to run my small business, and this slowness issue is killing me. Thanks, John.
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2000, 11:30 PM
Do you absolutely need to use Multiple Users?

There are reports that Multiple Users really slows machines down.
John L. Bill
Jan 6, 2000, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tip. I turned off Multiple users, and it does work a little faster.
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2000, 09:00 PM
Ouch. os9 on a 7200/90? I cant even imagine how horrible that would be

Seroiously though, I'd just go back to 8.6. It's more stable, and doesnt have nearly as much bloat. I got os9 just because it came with my computer when I got it, but to be honest I would have been happier if it came with 8.6. There are far less problems.

I hope you didnt BUY os9 though. Not that I'm promoting piracy, but I mean it would suck if you actually bought it and its so bad on your machine that you just cant use it and have to go back to 8.6 But I guess you could always sell on ebay or something, probably get 40 or 50 bucks for it. So its not a total loss.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2000, 04:40 PM
You didn't mention how much RAM you have. If you only less than 32mb, it's time to upgrade. 9 would prefer 64mb as a minimum. It has 4 DIMM sockets, so you could upgrade it all the way to 512mb, if your wallet can take the strain...

You should also install a L2 cache. 256k is the smallest you can get, and I'd say 512k would be better, and 1mb is probably going to be overkill.

Bear in mind, though, that the 7200/90 was not the fastest Mac to begin with, but adding memory is probably the only way you're going to get 9 to speed up.

For more info on the 7200, check out Low-End Mac's page: http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/7200.shtml
Jan 8, 2000, 09:33 AM
penginkun, he said he had 94mb of ram... i'm assuming when he said with virtual memory on he meant on top of 94 mb installed.

John... OS 9 Should be abit slower on your machine, compared to os 8.6 but not so slow that it takes 2 and a half minutes to connect... This suggests a problem somewhere else.

My tips are...

1/ Turn off virtual memory
2/ De frag the Hard disk
3/ As penginkun said, get L2 cache updated

Hope this helps.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2000, 09:44 AM
Even a current G3/350 is slow with multi-users, and ICeTEe can wreck havoc with menus taking forever. 7200/90 w/o VM turned on... but I would not invest $100 in 64MB unless you can't buy a used 7600 etc or iMac.

Considering the bugs still present in 8.6 and failure of DFA to correctly fix directories/catalog I would keep 9.0 if at all possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules