Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Strange, new extensions

Strange, new extensions
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 12:58 AM

I have three new items in my Extensions folder and I don't know where they came from. I have installed iTunes and OS 9.1 update, but I'm not sure they came from either one of them. The files are:
Chaos Sky.dll
LaserTag.dll
SimpleGauge.dll
This is on a G4/450mp

Does anyone recognize these??

Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2001, 01:51 AM

Transferring to the Mac OS forum...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 08:45 AM

Why was this topic transferred? Do you know that they are MacOS extensions and not third party extensions? They could have come from some third party - there's no indication where they are from.

AnyNameWillDo
Jan 13, 2001, 10:49 AM

Well I do not have a G4, but these things are not in my "System Folder". So I guess they have to come from somewhere else than from Apple...

Juging from the "Laser" thing, could it be a game ? But it is only a wild guess... On the other hand, since it ends with ".dll", it has to be from a Windows ported app...

Have you tried to do a "Get Info..." on these elements ? Sometimes, the installing package's name is written just under the extension's name. Its worh a try...

Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2001, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by jtsombakos:
Why was this topic transferred? Do you know that they are MacOS extensions and not third party extensions? They could have come from some third party - there's no indication where they are from.
I'm sure they are third-party, but my thinking was that extensions work pretty closely with the OS. But I wouldn't have transferred a question about, say, Microsoft Word extensions, so in retrospect you're probably right.

At any rate, you're just as likely to get an answer here as anywhere.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 10:56 PM

I tried going the Get Info, but it doesn't say anything helpful. I'm going to try to remove them and run some apps and see which one screams.

Certaintly is a puzzle!

Forum Links
Forum Rules