Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Install 9.1 the right way - how?

Install 9.1 the right way - how?
Simon C. Leemann
Jan 14, 2001, 06:01 AM

OK, clearly you have to do a clean install. So I'll do a fresh install of 9.0.4 from CD and then I'll update to 9.1. Deactivating third-party extensions is also a good idea.

But what about the extensions manager. Does it matter if I have deactivated any standard OS 9.0.4 extensions (like openGL) with the extensions manager? Let's say Apple upgraded those with 9.1. Would the updater find the deactivated extensions and upgrade them? If it does, would it leave them deactivated?

Just wondering.

scl

bondi blue
Jan 14, 2001, 06:37 AM

Installed it 4 days ago.

All I did was:

- download all the parts,
- reboot from OS9 CD-ROM,
- run the 9.1 updater,
- reboot.

I was being brave I guess but I have a known-good system folder copied to zip disks and all my stuff was already backed up.

Worked like a charm for me. On restarting it ran the setup manager but it had preserved all my settings. The extensions were updated sensibly, no stuffups there and so far all my apps work perfectly. More importantly, the problems I knew of that would screw up either an app in 9.0.4, meaning a force-quit was necessary, or crash the Finder or the whole OS, are all gone. It hasn't even blinked.

Overall impression is Apple has fixed a lot of little things and it seems very, very robust - the way 7.1 was a long time ago. I suspect there are a lot of little tweaks under the hood where we can't see them - much more than the changes we can see in Finder and the control panels.

Cheers, Bondi...

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 10:42 AM

MacFixit home page - 14 Jan 01

Mac OS 9.1 Update and full install CD do not install exactly the same files

Apple documentation that we received stated that Mac OS 9.1 installs ColorSync 3.0.3. However, many readers have reported not getting the update. Dave Camp has supplied us with the explanation for this discrepancy, via a reply from an Apple employee:

"The Software Update Mac OS 9.1 only contains a subset of the full 9.1 available on CD. The same thing was true of the 9.0.4 update. The system software updates contain fewer software components to minimize download time." ColorSync 3.0.3 is missing from the Update.
------------------
There are also instructions on the home page for the BEST way to install 9.1.

WDL

Phaedrus
Jan 14, 2001, 01:38 PM

Overall impression is Apple has fixed a lot of little things and it seems very, very robust - the way 7.1 was a long time ago. I suspect there are a lot of little tweaks under the hood where we can't see them - much more than the changes we can see in Finder and the control panels.
Agreed. This is the most stable Mac OS I've ever used. It's amazing. I have not had one crash since I installed it, whereas before my system crashed about once per day. I think Apple did the right thing by leaving out most new features and concentrating on the stability of the OS. Hell with this kind of stability no wonder Jobs didn't talk about it at MWSF...it would have stolen some of OS X's thunder.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2001, 10:34 PM

I just white-knucked it, and everything seems fine.
I backed up 9.0.4 to cd, then restarted with extensions off, and updated. No clean install, so no need to merge systems, etc.

All my preferences are intact, and the system does "feel" faster.

I had 2 persistent error messages during the download, but they appear to be meaningless.

part 1 unstuffed, then "the shrinkwrap engine reported an error -43"
part 4 unstuffed then I got the message "unable to decompres archive because there was not enough memory."

these were repeatable, and upping the memory on stuffit and netscape didn't make the messages go away.

I insatalled the update anyway, and it ran fine.

Running a Cube 450 with 256 mb.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2001, 01:46 AM

the ShrinkWrap engine reporting -43 (this is a file-not-found/target-not-found error) is because the installer is a multi-part disk image. if you try to mount the image (for instance if Netscape automatically tries to open the file after downloading Part 1) before you have all segments you will get this error because of course you don't have the whole image file to mount.

I installed the updater after starting up off of a backup system folder identical to my main sytem folder living on a second partition of my HD. no problems except with Apple Menu Items prefs (another thread, typoon's "possible 9.1 crash fix"). and the annoyance of AppleExtras/Internet/Utilities being moved to Applications folder).

the parts left out of the installer we downloaded (like Open Gl 1.2, ColorSync 3.0.3, etc.) can be gotten seperately. look for them on versiontracker.com. On a side note: OpenGl 1.2 actualy first became available with the release of Cro-Mag Rally, the new game from PangeaSoft, which included the OpenGl 1.2 installer. Until this week that was the Only way to get it, as Apple did not make it available until 9.1 release.

As far as stability, OS 9.1 is great (except when running iTunes. grrr ) I haven't yet found a single useful new UI feature. opening large Finder windows and switching between apps is smoother. process manager seems Much better.

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2001, 08:30 AM

So far for me as well 9.1 seems to be very very fast and responsive. Also a Long Standing bug is now fixed. I don't know how many noticed but the bug in 8.0-9.0.4 where it didn't allow you to delete a bunch of files from the find window now allows you to select all and delete multiple files now.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules