Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1: barely usable. . .

OS 9.1: barely usable. . .
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 01:08 AM

I am totally unable to use my:

* Wacom tablet (extensions crash the system.)
* XLR8 USB Mouse (ditto)
* Toast (the extensions are the problem.)
* Sandisk USB compact flash card reader

There are other things that don't work, as well. It seems like enabling any of a large number of extensions brings the system down. Actually, the system will not finish booting, and just kind of hangs after loading the last extension. The finder crashes when clicking the mouse.

Now, that sounds to me like bad preferences, and extension conflict, corrupted files, or something of that nature.

That's why I installed this thing three times (over the weekend.) I tried it on two separate hard drives, and eventually did a completely clean install. The bottom line is that I'm unable to figure out how to get the above-mentioned items working. Enabling extensions for the Wacom tablet, USB mouse, Toast, or other things just freaks the system out. I've tried limited extension sets, and have even had problems booting with just the 9.1 BASE extensions, in some cases.

I'm going to have to go back to 9.0.4, if this doesn't get figured out.

Hardware: G4/400
320mb RAM
Voodoo 5500 card (it works in 9.1.)
Sony Spressa FireWire CD/RW drive
Wacom Tablet: USB
XLR8 mouse: USB
Sandisk card reader: USB

Anybody got bright ideas?
I'm all ears.

rick

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2001, 04:54 AM

I've had no problems with Toast and my Sony Spressa burner since 9.1. Using 4.1.2 of Toast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules