Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Making OS 9 CD

Making OS 9 CD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 04:12 PM

Folks:
I have the original restore set that came with my G-4/450 of OS 9.
What I would like to be able to do is construct then build a stand alone CD with just the OS on it and disk tools and my Norton, Tech-Tool and the like. Would allow me to take it with me when travel, with Powerbook etc, and able to do an install on my older 6400.
Are there any tips/techniques to do this?
Thanks in advance

------------------
Mac'in in Hawaii!
Mac'in in Hawaii!

Slappy
Jan 15, 2001, 06:02 PM

This won't work, sorry. The Apple CD that came with your G4 is specific to that machine. Try it. It wil only restore a G4. You need a retail copy of OS 9.

Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2001, 07:06 PM

i don't know about that. try booting the machine up from the CD... if it works, it works. i regularly used a powerbook G3 CD to boot and older powerbook with 8.5 back in the day. don't know if 9.x is a different situation though. to mac a bootable CD, i think all you need to do is have the CD burned as a mac volume rather than files and folders and ensure there's a system folder on the disc along with your programs.

-r.

[This message has been edited by rjenkinson (edited 01-15-2001).]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 07:17 PM

Just to back that up, I have talked with customers who had a powerbook G3 with 8.6 and installed a G4 tower 9.0.4 cd and had no problems, much to my suprise. And they were even supported by Apple somehow with it too.
Every year is 1984 to me. I only wish Big Brother wouldn't touch me there.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2001, 08:29 PM

You can use any CD with a System folder on it to make a bootable CD. I have used the one from my Pismo and created a System repair disk and it worked on all machines except the newer iMacs and the Cube. Then I got a system folder from a Newer iMac and it used it to create another Bootable system repair disk. and ti worked on basically all systems. I then build one from the 9.1 CD and now it works with every machine. I know this works not only for my machines but on other as well as I have provided friends with a copy of my repair Cd. They all have different machines and different configs. Just remember that you HAVE to create it on a disk such as a ZIP disk or something that will fit on a CD. I usually burn to a 100 meg Zip disk. and then using Toast creating a Mac volume and then click on data and choose bootable and it will make the CD bootable with your system folder.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules